05-25-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
RedStripe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Satellite Prep. - What's the value of this option?

Satellite Prep. is a $75 ($70 invoice) option. The description is that it is "Pre-wiring for BMW center installation of SIRIUS Satellite Radio". Why would you get this and not just get the SIRIUS Satellite option ($595 retail/$540 invoice)? I mean, if you later get a separate SIRIUS receiver, you would connect it externally through the AUX port or maybe through an FM signal, right? And if you do get the satellite prep and later down the road you want the BMW integrated SIRIUS satellite radio, they would basically have to replace your whole radio unit, right? And how much would that cost?

Please add your knowledge and comments, but it seems to me that the Satellite Prep is basically paying for the OPTION to later install a BMW OEM SIRIUS satellite radio at a future time, and the benefits to installing a BMW OEM SIRIUS satellite radio would be integration with your steering wheel buttons and no separate, external SIRIUS unit. Otherwise, if you later decided to get your own SIRIUS satellite receiver for your car (in other words, a non-BMW SIRIUS receiver), you would never see the benefits of the Satellite Prep package. Is this correct? Thanks.
Appreciate 0