Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Damn man. That is intense. I'm glad you survived that situation. There's a really valid message buried within your story, and it is this: many people can't take an honest ass whooping these days, and winning a fight will likely result in the person who lost the fight coming back with a firearm the "level" things out. Being a proficient fighter has a 50/50 chance of exacerbating an altercation, so verbal diffusion is probably the best approach when possible (...and I acknowledge that it isn't always an option).
I agree completely. It's not like it was 20 years ago when you settled things and then dropped them....people these days want to get even. I don't want to have to be looking over my back constantly.

After this, I stopped boxing (outgrew my weight class) and picked up Aikido. That really helped with my "Type A" personality...plus later on as I started teaching it, we taught a lot of the LE in our area. Some of the stories I would hear from them just reinforced my ideas that people these days are crazy.

That event and then eventually becoming a parent changed my entire outlook. I go out of my way to avoid trouble, and found out I was pretty good at diffusing situations. I can read people pretty easily. You can tell by someone's eyes and posture if they are a talker or a fighter within 30 seconds or less.

I would only do that kind of stuff now as a last resort like my family or myself in harms way.

That's why I respect you guys so much. You have to deal with it on a daily basis. When younger I couldn't deal with somebody "mouthy". Now I can just walk away. But you still have a job to do so it isn't that simple.

My brother had so many people telling him that if they had to do it again now, they wouldn't bother as times have changed. They thought him crazy for wanting to get into LE during this age.

You guys are human and have bad days like the rest of us, but you have to "swallow" it and do your job objectively.

My daughter while in college (Medical Field) was engaged to the Coroners nephew. His dad also trained the SWAT team in our area. But she did sort of an internship with his uncle one summer. The stories I heard were just horrible and sad...it makes you question what are people becoming. I know it's a small part of the population, but that part is what you guys deal with on a regular basis.

So I don't take it lightly when I say I appreciate your service.
I appreciate that. People should read your post a few times and really let it digest. People at home relaxing in the comfort of their living room couches while critiquing police (...which is warranted sometimes) think this job is easy, and it's far from it.

Good on you for teaching LE the arts. Krav Maga and BJJ (..often practiced while wearing a vest, duty belt and gun that has been rendered incapable of discharging a bullet) are two really common/efficient arts that we train regularly. I've always liked Aikido as well.
Appreciate 2
Rmtt8206.00
scostu1621.00