View Single Post
      03-10-2007, 09:17 AM   #25
mbdurham
Commander in Chief
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town330 View Post
If you really want to make this study interesting, then re-do the poll with more categories above $100k. $100k is not high enough to have as the top category, especially when polling people with $40-$50k cars.

This study was interesting in that we not surprisingly learned a lot of people buy expensive cars in relation to their income. This seems to be the American way, I guess, as evidenced by the fact that sooo many people talk about car payments on here as a key "cost" criteria (i.e., concerned more with cash flow than their "balance sheet" or "earnings"). I’m not passing judgment on the younger owners – that would be hypocritical of me given my own financial behavior during my 20’s.

Now, if you re-do the poll with more categories, we could learn who really practices fiscal responsibility, and/or just really likes the 3 series (i.e., could afford much more, but choose the 3 vs. spending a lot of money)

But I also think this forum probably does not contain a statistically representative sampling of 3 series owners, as my guess is a higher percentage of young owners join forums vs. older ones, as they are more "excited" about their cars. I told some "older" BMW owners I know about these forums, and they couldn't have cared less.
Yes this poll could have been done in countless different ways with many more categories such as overall net worth, debt to income ratio, age, kids, household income, mortgage, etc (I bet a net worth poll would be interesting)...... I was just interested because it seems so many of the members on this forum appear to be younger if they could all really afford a $40-50k car.....and "afford" is also a relative term...you could make the payment making less than 25k per year....but should you? well that is your decision I am not here to judge.

Also if you notice I don't think this poll reflects the age poll unless most of the people who posted age, where a very large portion was under 25, are making 100+ per year.....If that is the case kudos to you!
07 E90 335i / JET BLACK / TERRA / WALNUT / NAVI / PREMIUM / SPORT / COMFORT ACCESS / HEATED SEATS / SIRIUS / OEM CD CHANGER / OEM LIP SPOILER / OEM AW MATS & CARGO LINER / OEM AL PEDALS / OEM BLACK LINES / OEM JACK KIT / OEM MOBILITY KIT / OEM WHEEL LOCKS / 35% TINT / 19" M6 REPS / 245/275 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S
Appreciate 0