03-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Will keep it brief, currently have gas, sister in law just installed induction so use both regularly (they live two doors down). Here are my plus/minuses .....

GAS:
- Absolute bitch to keep clean
- Biggest gripe is that when boiling I like high heat and gas tends to just heat the outer ring of the cookware base because you need a flame too big for the pot. So you get this dead zone in the centre of the the pot when attempting to aggressively boil, I absolutely despise it for this reason

+ Knobs instead of a stupid touch interface
+ Instant control of heat (meh)

INDUCTION:

- I loathe touch interface instead of knobs, press this to turn it on, then this to select the burner then this to set temp ... just fucking sloppy and no physical feedback at all so the pressing sort of works unreliably unless you really pay attention to where you're pressing. Input lag too.
- Cookware shifts when stirring, so always two hands needed when cooking FFS

+ Dead easy to clean
+ Looks better than massive clunky gas contraption
+ Instant heat and variable burner size

Thoughts, feeling, emotions?
So lets compare apples to apples. Some gas stove aren't as effective as induction. A cheap gas stove is just that and will disappoint. We have a 36" Wolf commercial grade stove. No electronics so it always works even without hydro. The burners have a very wide range of control and really high BTU's so when you need heat you have it. It is also very easy to clean, the burner covers (grates) come up easily and the deck is simple to clean. The thing is a beast, and built to cook and too last. I have taken the minimalist approach when it comes to electronics in our appliances. We had a decent gas stove a few houses ago with fancy electronic controls, the motherboard pooched just out of warranty and it cost as much as a new stove to repair. Induction is sexy to be sure, I have some friends with one and we looked at them when we bought the Wolf. Did lots of research. You said emotion and our view (and my wife cooked professionally when she was young), the induction is nice but is kind of a toy compared to gas. Thats just my opinion but you asked.

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 03-11-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 6
Red Bread4462.00
tuco44644.00
cmyx6go15573.50
Fakemike368.50