View Single Post
      12-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #8
mdm0515
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePark View Post
You can do everything right as an owner and inadvertently catch a bad tank of fuel and incur a $10K engine fix. THIS IS NOT A WARRANTABLE ITEM. And once you go out of pocket $10K to get your car back on the road, the risk remains and will be yours to bear if it happens again. The risk remains as long as you own the car.

I wish I hadn't been so ignorant when I bought mine. Think long and hard about the purchase and understand the risk you take on. BMW NA will never accept responsibility for this. You will not know when you get bad diesel until its too late and, contrary to other opinions and posts, it's NOT limited to off-brand stations. The fuel that allegedly ruined my engine was from Shell.

I hope this factual commentary educates anyone who is on the fence as to whether to buy a BMW diesel car. It's also important to consider resale value as this engine ruination risk is a known flaw in these engines.

If the moderator doesn't remove this post then it can be considered a good public service announcement from a victim of the above mentioned issue.

FYI Update -

I guess I was even more naive than I thought. Just got the BMW dealer estimate for my fuel issue......

$22,450 to bring the car back to life. We can't have the repair done at a non-BMW location or the warranty is voided, even though its not a warrantable issue in the first place. That is super funny....

We have not been provided with any analytics or test results supporting the BMW NA conclusion that this is a non-warrantable issue.

What to do, what to do,.......
Appreciate 0