View Single Post
      01-09-2015, 08:03 PM   #36
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Minor correction above, we have don't have counties in Louisiana!

But solid advice. I have not had a ticket in more than 20 years and never that much above the speed limit. Templar is correct, at 28 mph above the limit this could easily be more than a simple fine for speeding. Get a lawyer from the Lake Charles area to handle the case.

Edit: Can't vouch for the validity of this but a simple Google search found this document for Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles) fines. Numbers stop at 14 mph above the limit w/ 15 mph and above requiring a court appearance. The ticket may not say reckless driving on it but maybe the judge could rule it was reckless driving. Would not surprise me here in Louisiana... And an important point for the OP. Were you caught by a local sheriff or by the state police? Sheriff likely means parish court while state police likely means district court. In a local court, your are in tougher shape. In district court, they are dealing with murders etc so a traffic violation is not as serious...

https://www.ncourt.com/nCourtUnivers...TION/fines.pdf
Ticket says Speeding only and has "Office of State Police" at the top. I shall definitely get a local lawyer, any suggestions or referrals anyone??

And yes, it is Calcasieu, 14th Court.
Appreciate 0