07-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #111
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Nice watches but with all due respect they both look pretty similar to me. I don't see enough of a distinction (visually) to call one "sporty" and another "formal/dressy." They both look pretty sporty, if anything.
From my perspective, you can dress up a Radiomir, but the Luminor will always be a sports watch. Mike very successfully pointed out some great examples of luxury brands offering sports models earlier, aside from someone like Jacquot Droz or A Lange, there aren't many watch companies that don't really offer a sports model.

I rarely wear a suit and tie, generally just a button down and slacks, so a sports watch works great for me. I like both kinds of watches, and there are clearly some watches that I wouldn't wear at the track or going for a swim, just as there are certainly some that I wouldn't dream of wearing to a funeral or on a date night.

I had a gold GMT that I never really warmed to, it seemed too casual for dressing up and too pricey to really just wear as a casual watch. I think this is one area that white gold and platinum really extend the functionality of soft metal watches, by at least casually being able to be mistaken for stainless.
Appreciate 0