02-17-2021, 05:33 PM   #72
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
I think it was "it looks cool/different" for the wheel. Maybe more display space unobstructed? Joe asked a lot of the same things when he said a gear selector is going to be a thing of the past. Easy to poke holes in it, but if the idea (end goal) is to get in a car and say "go to work" and that's it - then I can see how the steering wheel and gear selector become things to get rid of. Elon told him he would see when they perfected it, but that he (Elon) had already been driving with no gear selector and it was amazing. We will see.

I like the idea of an all out push for self driving cars. Do I want one? not right now. But think about all those numbskulls that you see driving in the left lane clogging up traffic so they can be on their phones. If they were all in one of these in the right lane - we'd have a much clearer left lane!
I have an Engineering degree, looking cool but being less functional drives me crazy when it comes to things we use every day.

I would love to have a self driving car today, not enough to pay much for it but a decent part of my driving is nothing more than a waste of time in traffic. When I traveled over 8 states for my job I would have paid $15k for it as I could have gotten lots done or slept instead of staring off into space on the highway. Working/riding 8 hours would have been massively better than driving for 8 and then working that night.

I don't see the logic in the end goal being a reason to change things today. I don't think Tesla is that close to a true self driving car for most of my driving. Musk keeps saying it is right around the corner but this has been going on for years. Then his plan seems to be a subscription service so if I buy the S, decide I don't want to pay for the self driving (I sure wouldn't now as I drive 4k miles a year) then I am back to a standard car except he seems to want to design it not to work very well with a driver.