View Single Post
      09-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Budget:

Under $200- Who cares buy whatever you think looks cool. When it breaks (and it will) throw it away and buy another one.

$200-1000- There are respectable brands in this price range. You can get a good watch, but nothing that will appreciate in value.

$1000-2000- Arguably the worst price range. Not much benefit beyond a $500 Hamilton or similar automatic, but you're paying a premium without much justification.

$2000 and above- You may spend a lot of money, but if you buy right, many watches at this price have the potential to appreciate in value. You'll obviously get a good quality watch, but it's also a potential investment (again, assuming you buy right).

My advice: Since you're just out of college and looking to buy a nice "starter watch" look for a good used Baumet et Mercier (cheaper), Omega (middle tier), or Rolex (higher price range).

All of those brands have a strong used market so if you buy at a reasonable price, you can enjoy the watch for a few years and then sell it for as much (if not more) than you paid for.

My first automatic was a Baume et Mercier Capeland S (which I still have). I bought it in near new condition for $600 with the box and all documentation. I wore it almost every day for 2 years, and currently even in its condition I would have no trouble selling it for the same price.
Appreciate 0