09-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #21
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
I owned a 2016 Golf R and it was a great all around car. It's arguably the best combination of sport and utility for a daily commuter as it offers something for everyone as it handles decent, fast in a straight line (DSG), AWD for winter, and has good utility and sightlines. The S3 is essentially the sedan version of the Golf which does look nicer inside and out IMO but the tradeoff is utility. When I sold my Pretoria wheels the guy that picked them up had an S3 and putting 4 wheels and tires in his car was a chore compared to the same thing in the Golf where you fold down the rear seats and have a little minivan. Also the interior of the Golf R isn't a huge step down from the Audi (you can argue it's better in some aspects) so to me it comes down to your styling preferences and utility requirements.

One note in regards to the Golf R is to skip the manual transmission. It's not a good manual transmission, makes the car considerably slower (was an afterthought) as the platform is just better with the DSG.

I can't comment on the 135i but I've never been a fan of the styling of that car and as others say it's older.
The clutch is weak in my GTI and it's the same one in the R, so it's even worse off there.

Both the R and S3 changed from a 6s to a 7s DSG in 2018 making the performance delta between the manual and DSG even bigger.

But I'll keep my weak clutched manual over any auto, thank you very much.
Appreciate 0