View Single Post
      07-24-2015, 07:06 PM   #613
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post

If one's expectations are clean looks, good legibility and simplicity, I think one really needs to have a "heart to heart" with oneself before spending a lot of money on a watch, and before deriding fake watches and/or consumers of them.
  • Why even buy a mechanical watch? That'd the fist question I'd ask myself because the noted expectations don't militate at all for, much less require, a mechanical watch.
  • What's the point of spending $500+, to say nothing of IWC-money, on a watch when If all one expects are the noted traits? Those characteristics just don't cost that much and there are plenty of nice looking watches that have those traits.

Now you tell me given what folks are writing as their expectations in the above referenced thread, what about them suggests that there is any rational reason (aside from the legal one) for buying an expensive authentic watch, or an authentic inexpensive mechanical watch over an inexpensive fake mechanical watch? Does it look to you like most members care at all about features that are uniquely available only in pricey watches? It sure doesn't look like that to me.

All the best.
There are attributes that make the authentic item more appealing besides the legal ones. Things such as attention to details and styling.

For example, a lot of people copy the Submariner - both homage watches and replicas. But having the real one is just different. The homages will not have the exact styling or little details. The replica may have the same details but the QC is not as good and the finishing is rough. There are some concerns such as if you can possibly resell the watch in the future if you are in a rough patch or decide to "upgrade" or change your style.

Also, there is just a "je ne sais quoi" factor to owning the real thing. No matter how good the replica gets or a homage apes the original, if the real deal is what your heart desires - only the real one will do. It becomes a emotional decision at that point.

That is how I feel about sports cars as well. They are terrible investments but, for me, it is a emotional purchase more than a practical one. When I do take it out on the track and open it up to the limit, I enjoy my time. That does mean I can have a great time in a Miata as well as the M3 on the track. But I enjoy the M3 as a able all around car. I can blast it around the track one day and take it out to a nice dinner on the town the same night. Then go grocery shopping in it the next day. The luxury features and "image" of the car are secondary to the performance for me. That is why, for me, a watch can not provide me the enjoyment my car can. A higher performance car can provide me a better time behind the wheel, a higher end watch can't tell time better.

Last edited by Z K; 07-24-2015 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0