05-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #35
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I read your original post, but some of the medical logic implied is inaccurate or oversimplified. That is why I started a post fresh.

A quick point I'd like to make:

1.) Dr. Atkins never did any studies on the safety of his diet, only on its efficacy in making you lose weight. Note that I never criticized your diet on its efficacy. Also note that Dr. Atkins practiced nearly 50 years ago, and that our understanding of biochemistry and lipid metabolism has progressed greatly since then.

2.) Cholesterol is NOT used as a fuel source. That is why picking what you eat is an intrinsic aspect of any cholesterol-lowering regimen, regardless of weight, fitness, current diet etc. You are correct that cholesterol levels tend to lower as your weight reduces. However, this has nothing to do with you 'burning' cholesterol or using it as fuel. It is due to the fact that your body makes more HDL (a protein that carries cholesterol back to your liver for excretion through your bile into your stools). What's not known is if this compensatory increase in HDL can match the huge increase in cholesterol intake that accompanies a ketogenic diet, as the pathway has not been fully elucidated.

FYI - If you believe what I am saying is rhetoric, speak to your doctor.

I will trouble you no further, as we clearly differ on some pretty fundamental biological/science concepts. I wish you the best of luck, and I appreciate your efforts to encourage us to be healthy. I just object to the means, not the end goal. Cheers
I was under the assumption that cholesterol was made from lipids and that the increased ingestion of lipids would never make it's way to become cholesterol since it's used as the body's primary fuel source. I could be wrong though, and please inform me if I am. I don't like to sound like an ass, but it does get frustrating having to respond to such long posts every single time i open this thread @_@

And yeah, everyone should take into consideration the time Dr. Atkins practiced. I do believe, though, that others like Lyle McDonald have taken over doing research studies. Not sure about his credentials.

Anyways, I just injured my foot today but will see what my ankle is like in about a week and whether or not going to the gym with crutches is advisable. I wouldn't mind going to the gym in crutches but I don't know how cumbersome it might be.

For the time being, since I can't run anymore, I'll be off this diet because I have no cardio in my regime anymore (and possibly no more weight lifting if I can't get around the gym). Wish me luck guys and good luck with all your workouts too!