06-07-2008, 12:04 AM   #12
BMWDave
Totally Add1cted
Australia
Rep
Drives: X1 Xdrive23d

Garage List
2011 BMW X1 23d  [7.66]
Well, I've just come back from my first drive of the 135i demo car. I'm going to please my dealer here and start with the brakes. My god. While everyone raves about how linear, flexible and tracile the engine is, most gloss over the fact that it takes some serious retardation to reign that engine in. The brakes on the 135i are glorious. Whilst you can't test their limits on public roads, the first thing I felt when i put my foot on the middle pedal was safe. Those massive brembo's (albiet badged BMW) at the front are awesome. Between the dealer and myself, we gave them a fairly decent bullocking during some braking tests and each time were met with confident (and massive!) stopping power.

Dynamically, the car feels very balanced. It's as happy to cruise around suburbia as it is goings balls out on freeways as it is getting thrown around dynamically challenging corners. It takes a fair bit to upset the rear end, which I attribute to the e-diff doing its thing and working with the cars' suspension systems. Front to rear balance also feels neutral when shifting from hard accelerating to hard braking.

Ok, the engine. I can't really add to anything that hasn't already been said. It's amazing. Anything over about 1800rpm and the car just builds speed in any gear with an unnatrual velocity. Particularly impressive in 5th at highway speeds. The diff gearing is suprisingly high and it does take a few more revs than expected to move it off the line. I bogged it down once during a spirirted start as a result.

The gearbox is slick, precise and sharp. The cabin is comfortable and the seats supportive. I'm 6 foot and was sitting in the back behind my 5"9' father and both of us had comfortable legroom. Headroom in the back is good, but my fringe, which i wear up and messy via product was touching the roof.

Am I glad that I went and test drove one before I took delivery of mine? Yes. Knowing what I know now first hand about the way it stops, handles and goes, all I have to say is that I'm imensely pleased, and am going to have real trouble waiting the month or so til I get mine. Bring it on

It's like having your cake and eating it too. Pure gold. 5 stars.