Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
All companies do this a lot.
Seems like Getrag was the transmission manufacturer rather than FoMoCo. Is this any worse than losing a HPFP on a 335i?

Regarding Pintos, I owned four. The fire death issue is far overblown (pun intended). During the same era, the Toyota Corolla had more deaths by fire due to rear-end collisions than did the Pinto. The Pinto had a German engine and transmission (manual). My one hatchback Pinto I had in college would move my friend and I back and forth to college with our full kit of clothes and the all important large-speaker stereo... Any of my BMW's have had more issues than any Pinto I've ever owned LOL.

Regarding the safety of the Fiesta, my niece was rear-ended at a stop light by a inebriated woman at 55 MPH. It pushed my niece's 2012 Fiesta into a 7-car chain reaction collision, meaning the impact caused 6 other cars to be rear ended by the force of the inebriated woman hitting my niece's Fiesta. The rear of the Fiesta was pushed all the way to the back of the front seats and the front end was crushed all the way to the firewall. My niece survived the accident with some significant injuries. The first responders at the scene later told my niece they did not expect to find anyone alive in the Fiesta.

She did have the transmission replaced under warranty.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0