ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
But you just worked for 60 years and are climbing right back lol.

A hobby where one works or "volunteers" isnt a hobby... It's never the same.
Once again, I never said the word hobby. However, since you brought it up, I'll give you a "hobby" example. I know people who love to golf. They retire and take a job working part-time - 2 to 3 days as week at a golf course as a marshall or in the pro-shop. That allows them to play golf 2-3 days a week for free. Likewise, people who retire take a volunteer position as a docent at the theatre or part-time usher at the baseball stadium and as a result they get to see shows or baseball games for free. There's nothing sad about someone choosing to have a great time after retirement.

As semi-retired, I travel the world 2-4 months a year (in non-pandemic times) and enjoy the heck out of it. Some people don't travel and choose to "work" at something they love or enjoy near their home. Additionally, some people have medical issues that preclude them from travel or some other activities so they stay connected with the world around them by volunteering at a zoo, church, museum, performing arts center....... and anyone who thinks volunteering isn't work has never volunteered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
While [COLOR="Red"]I am not remotely close to retiring age[/COLOR]... from the people that I've met that have retired ......
When you get nearer to retirement age you will look at things with a different perspective - one with experience. At this point in time your vantage point might be a bit narrow.
None of what you just said answers my question or changes my viewpoint... but again your last paragraph may be true. None of what I am saying is speaking from my experience but numerous retired individuals that I've met and encountered.