View Single Post
      07-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
idriveawagon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 530 xiT

Unhappy Trouble with privacy cover - 530 xiT

A few months ago the privacy cover in the back of my wagon stopped coming down automatically when I would close the tailgate. When I took it to my local dealer they indicated that it would need a new motor and had one shipped from Germany (I didn't realize there was even a motor in there performing this function - I thought by the pins being able to slide freely in the track that it would lower by virtue of the tailgate closing).

In any event, I brought the car in to have the motor switched out. Since then two things have happened:

Number one, it took me a couple days to notice, but I'm positive that the tailgate doesn't lift as high as it used to. I came to this realization because I hit my head on it 2 or 3 times in as many days, whereas owning the car for the last 2+ years I'm not sure if I've ever hit my head. As well, I remember being able to look up and see the roadside assistance phone number on the bottom of the tailgate, and now I have to crouch below the door to see it. In taking it back to the dealership they say the tailgate is not lower. I don't know, either I grew a couple inches (at the age of 39 years old) or I'm losing my mind, which I do allow as a possibility... : )

Number 2: It's now been a few weeks since the motor was replaced, and now it's stopped working! This suggests that it's not the motor that's the issue, but maybe some ancilliary component.

Before I bring the car back for a 3rd time I thought I would see if there's anyone out there who has had similar experiences, or has some insight as a Bimmer aficianado.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0