View Single Post
      05-08-2024, 06:05 PM   #12
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Sara Ok, so I skimmed the starter instructions and wish to know what is the pt of removing 1/2 of the starter most days? I guess I have to trash that or would it be possible to make a second starter (and so on)?

I would imagine just using the same jar is best but is there a reason some ppl use a new jar (and do they keep using new jars each day?)?

I think your recipe calls for all the starter to be used, but what if I have leftover starter...do ppl keep that for later, keep growing it, how to store it? Any other concerns that I missed? I have no idea what's going on haha.

Tx again!
If you don’t remove, “discard”, you’ll end up with sooooooo much starter it won’t fit in your jar and you’ll have no use for it. You can’t use discard that’s younger than 2 weeks anyway. You’ll be sick and it won’t work well. I don’t bake that often (only on weekends) so I toss my discard in the trash every time. Some people keep it if it’s a mature discard. Also, don’t discard down the drain it could damage pipes. Put as much in the trash as you can then dilute the rest before rinsing down the drain. You could use it to make a second starter but again remember it’s not mature until it’s at least two weeks. I actually keep two starters. One is a back up. Keep your jar covered with a lid, not a cloth filter or it will mold. If you see any pink or orange that’s bad bacteria and the whole thing needs to be tossed.

I use a different jar with every feeding. Mine is established. I keep it in the fridge and only take it out to bake every weekend. I give it a new jar when I wake it up and feed it. Some people keep the same jar, but I prefer the clean look and the sides on the jar get messy after stirring and what not.

Some people keep the discard portions of stater to make other treats like crackers, pizza crust, etc. Once your discard is over 2 weeks old, you can keep it do that as well. As a mom with an infant, I don’t have time for discard recipes so mine gets tossed.

Do you have Facebook? This sounds silly but there is a wonderful “sourdough starter support group” with nearly 700k members from around the world! It’s where I learned everything but I am happy to continue to answer any questions
Appreciate 1