PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGEE View Post
No. Tips?
If you're wanting to do spirited driving in the 1M, you want to be in MDM (M Dynamic Mode), just push the traction button on the dash once and MDM+DSC lights will illuminate on the cluster.

MDM will allow some amount of sliding the backend around. Without MDM activated, you'll probably not get the rear diff to lock. The 1M and E9x/E46 M3 rear diff all use the same fluid engagement mechanism. When one wheel slips more than the other, a small pump built into one of the stub shafts creates pressure against and locks the friction plates. The Dodge Viper also came with this GKN brand of fluid-based locking mechanism; it locks abruptly in the forward direction, but behaves more like an open diff under deceleration conditions.

It should become obvious how intrusive the traction control is, once you've gotten used to driving in MDM. If the car still has the factory plastic charge pipe, you might pop it driving in MDM. If you get limp mode with code 30FF, it's most likely the popped charge pipe.

In episode 1 of series 17 of Top Gear, the stig goes off-roading in a 1M and destroys the front bumper... which is why I don't ever turn the traction control all the way off. I have coded mine to euro-spec MDM, and it is noticeably less constrained and more gracious.
Appreciate 2
NGEE887.50
ayao646.00