01-06-2024, 11:30 PM   #9
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sygazelle View Post
...I know that pilots and ATC are trained on what to do in an emergency, but when it's happening real time, the human factor kicks in...
The worst part of my job was in these situations we are nothing but observers and can do nothing but listen and watch. I was supposed to work ASA261 that crashed off Ventura in 2000. The Center had just given us the pertinent information when they called back and said never mind. That could only mean one thing. I was also working the night USA landed on SKW in a VERY similar accident as the one at Haneda a couple of days ago. We went from 4 runways to 1 in a matter of a half hour or so, right before the 1830 arrival push. Those few days with the north complex closed were pretty surreal.

I finally saw the SULLY movie after it'd been out a while. I hesitated to see it as I knew how the NTSB works (they're job is to assign blame). I thought the movie was really good, but started to "lose it" when they showed the controller sitting in the breakroom, alone, thinking he had just witnessed a crash. EVERY controllers worst nightmare!
Appreciate 3
sygazelle11529.00
vreihen1615647.50
dradernh4486.50