Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Massively improves on it, with...
3800 lbs of bloat
dead steering
generic power delivery
hideous exterior
choices of a torque convertor automatic or shitty manual trans
It's heavy yes... but it also serves a different market and offers things the older CSL didn't WHILE still being fast. It's not my preference for sure... but I wouldn't want to driver a CSL for longer than 50 miles.

Quote:
It's hard to find an all BMW comparison test that the CSL doesn't win these days. If anything, it's fame/notoriety is growing faster than ever.
Correct, it's a collector car... one that was VERY limited in production and we didn't even get here in the USA. The formula for this car is very simple... just remove as much weight as possible and throw on race slicks. Very easy to do it if not being sold as production... on frankly a LOT Of cars. It's impossible today due to safety regulations for BMW... the civic type R ran a 7:44 with Front Wheel Drive and Less power lol...

Quote:
The i3 proves that BMW could easily, EASILY make a lighter car, if they still cared enough to put in the effort.

The i3 was 2650 lbs, with a 700 lb battery pack on board.

Build a sedan chassis uses the same CFRP production techniques as the i3, throw in an updated N52 (alu/magnesium block that weighed 328 lbs fully dressed), and you'd have a sub 2500 lb 4 seater with a 300 NA hp that would get better fuel economy than any of the turbo junk they're selling today, that's safer than any car they sell today.

They don't because they don't care anymore, and selling turbo automatic EPS crossovers is easy.

The car described above would be a modern day equivalent of the leap over everything else than the CSL was. It doesn't even have to be stupidly expensive-- i3 prices started in the 40s, and the EV drivetrain was more expensive than the ICE drivetrain. Not the generic standard car with different software. BMW just doesn't care anymore.
BMW cannot build a car for 10 people around the world... common sense, cmon... get yourself a Toyota 86 and you are very close to your description.

Last edited by ASAP; 07-19-2023 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0