View Single Post
      04-07-2023, 11:19 PM   #96
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I saved up my per diem for three years and bought an Imola Red e46 M3 as a brand-new special order. I farkled it to hell and gone getting ready to take it to the track- Shark'd the motor, full suspension upgrade, exhaust, CSL replica wheels, tires, etc. It was turn-key ready. And then on top of that, I dropped serious coin into a full-on audio system and a bunch of electronic magic. It was one *Hell* of a weekender.

Of course, the track closed before I could ever get on it.

And then I got married. And with the new wife, I needed garage space so one of my cars had to go, and the M3 was the least practical by far.

I also quickly figured out that my wife *loved* to drive the car very..... *very* fast when I was out of town.

I figured sooner or later I'd get a call from a bailbondsman or the morgue, so I sold it to a buddy with all of the modifications I'd done to it as a package deal.

$26k. Out the door. With barely 10k miles on it.

Was it a life-altering financial decision? No.

But, do I regret it? Almost every single day.

I estimated that between the hit I took on buying high and selling low and all the parts I put on it, I was into a low six-figure hit.

That.... was a LOT of money in the late 2000's right as the recession was knocking the bottom out of my industry.

Fwiw, the my buddy still owns the car-- it lives in Ft. Meyers now and it's his most prized possession.

(Still wish I had that extra $100,000 though!)

R.
Thanks for sharing. Welcome to the club.
Appreciate 0