View Single Post
      09-06-2022, 03:52 PM   #33
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
1, youtube videos/stuff on a recording in no way conveys how exhaust sounds in real life IME.

2, factory exhaust is going to be conservative.

3, exhaust noise is all about the exhaust. It's basically how far the mfr wants to go to make it sound good. One of our regular AutoX competitors has a 718 cayman and it sounds like absolute magic, as in louder than everything else, but good-loud, aggressive, amazing. My subaru with a specific borla sounded like a giant V8. I seriously had people working fast-food drive-throughs look around while I was sitting in front of the window talking to them for the "v8 car making all the rumble". Of course, you could easily turn those into a real bad civic-weedeater sound by going to equal length headers and other mods that would make it sound worse...but back to my point, I'm sure there will be good exhaust options with this car and this is the least of my worries buying a new car.
I absolutely agree that judging exhaust note based on youtube videos is hard and possibly misleading, but i dont think its coincidence that every M2 on youtube sounds sick and every toyota GR sounds like a weedeater

edit: dont get me wrong, yaris and corolla GR are awesome awesome cars that i would love to see more of across all manufacturers lineups. I love the idea of it. I just dont think 3-cylinders sounds great and im really picky about that. I own a 3 cylinder motorcycle actually and it sounds really really good, but lets keep the 3cyls on the motorbikes.
Appreciate 0