View Single Post
      03-18-2021, 01:06 PM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
If you really are looking down the line 10+ years, I would recommend some sort of real estate play. Maybe a rental or something. 50k gets you a pretty healthy down payment.
I wouldn't, at least not at this point. There are all sorts of costs buried into having real estate, especially a rental. IMO, real estate is great once you've built a solid nest egg ($500k-1M) in investment assets and you have the time and mental energy to deal with real estate, renters, etc. I could be wrong, but it doesn't like to me that the OP is quite there yet, net worth wise.

Investing is not REMOTELY as difficult or complex as many make it out to be. Open a Vanguard brokerage account and buy some S&P 500 index funds ($45,000; VFINX) and some short-term government bonds ($5,000) and let it be. Simple.

Don't buy single stocks and such until you've amassed a nice nest egg so that you can spread the risk. When you do buy stocks, buy solid ones. Then when you're really on your way, take some cash and buy some "what the hell" stocks and see what happens.

Being in control of your own investments is liberating.