View Single Post
      11-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #8127
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by macadamia9 View Post
I've been learning how to TIG weld and bought a couple of items that arrived yesterday. The first photo is of the TIG torch rest that has a magnetic base to hold it in place on my welding table.

The rest of the photos are of a TIG filler wire feeder. One of the hardest things to learn about TIG is the rhythm of adding the filler wire to the weld puddle. This device holds the filler wire for you and a slight movement of the thumb advances the wire. I will eventually learn how to feed the filler wire correctly without the feeder, but for now, it's one less thing to worry about while lay'n a bead.
Man up and learn to feed that TIG rod the old fashioned way....

Just kidding, I totally suck at it and really struggle with filler rod feed control. My hands shake and I make a total mess out of it. Where'd you get the feeder assist gadget? I'm going to pick one up and try it. I already have the magnetic torch rest; it's awesome. You'll love it!

BTW, if you dont have a nomex TIG Finger yet, you may want to pick one up. Gimmicky and not needed by the pros I suspect, but for a novice like me who inevitably goes super slow it's pretty nice and deflecting all that heat.

https://www.amazon.com/RX-WELD-Weldi...07163856&psc=1

Oh, and a good welding helmet auto-darkening insert makes all the difference. I was using a cheep-o Harbor Freight one and switched to a Miller. It was kinda how I imagine people feeling after they get Lasik or cataract surgery and can finally see clearly for the first time in years.
Appreciate 1