06-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #130
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Exactly. Eagerness to learn and hands-on experience is key. I've worked with dozens of MEs, and they're usually the most difficult to deal with. Or worse yet they design something that is completely unfeasible to manufacture, then you call them on it and they look like a deer in headlights hahah. Them: "Well I thought you could build it"..... Me: "Okay pal, and how do you figure we should approach that?". Having a mix of both technical knowledge and hands on-experience is the perfect balance.

I'm half way through my Master's in Mechanical Engineering w/ Villanova, none of those courses made me any better at my position. Waste of time, but my old company was paying for the courses so I figured why not. Now at my new company I don't feel the need to pursue it any further. If anything I'd like to get my MBA.
Same as you guys. My specialty is Controls and Automation...when I got out of college I went to work for a private electrical outfit. I was supposed to support their new side of the business. Whenever I had time, I would get in with the "old" Guys who had been there forever as I wanted more insight into the Power and Distribution side.

They were crazy. They would say...yeah the EE said to do this, but here is what we do. Let him try pulling that many wires in one conduit.

I never let my degree go to my head as application and theory can be a broad area to bridge.
vreihen1615626.50