07-28-2019, 06:59 AM   #446
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
My point was pretty clear. All car makers have issues on the track on occasion, Chevy Ferrari and others alike. And as See5 already mentioned the issues were indeed corrected. Not to mention, I can’t think of anybody who tracks their cars find their own solutions to make them perform better, including cooling. Also, The number of z06’s affected by overheating was a very small percentage.
Overheating and going into limp mode is a far cry from Porsche’s engines bursting into flames. The fact that they replaced them surprises no one. I know guys who track C7Z’s without issue and they and I think it was overblown story.
Don’t think there was one Z that self emulated. Limp over flames any day.

The C6Z is also a ten year plus old car that lapped the Ring a good deal quicker the the 458, hardly old guys cruising the blvd. Corvettes are put through the ringer on tracks as we all know.
The idea behind producing cars is to actually make a profit. While some Corvette owners will track the car, the majority won't (I mean hell, what geezer tracks a car at 68 years old ). GM knows it's customer, and I think GM built the C8 for it's Corvette customer, to finally deliver on a 50-year desire for a mid-engine variant. GM can sell the base 'Vette at $60K because it sells on average 2,000 cars a month compared to the 911 at 700 per month. The economies of scale of the sheer production numbers plus the Corvette can parts share with other GM products allows GM to produce the car less expensively than Porsche does the 911. I think it is fare to say that the 911 has a better track-focused design and has for decades, which probably makes it a more robust track car, but it starts at $35K more in price so it should be.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2708.00