View Single Post
      03-12-2018, 03:04 PM   #203
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
The person who fixed the first crack told us that when there is a small section of granite (such as 2cm cut out to fit behind the sink), installers insert metal into the granite (I have no idea how) to support it. If they don't let it dry completely when installing, or leave another crack where water can get to it, it eventually corrodes and sits (wet) against the granite, leading to cracks in the granite.

We bought the granite in 2002 (along with everyone else at the time) - it was / is our first house and one of the first things we did to it. We wanted to replace the formica counters before we moved in. (It is a great house that had some crappy builder-grade finishing details and previous owners didn't really do any upgrades.) We got it from Home Design (or something like that), which Home Depot used to own but subsequently shut down. They subcontracted it out to ???? I had no idea there was 2mm vs. 3mm or that there was any potential for something to rust and crack the granite. Learn stuff along the way...
Oh yeah, Home Design. I remember those guys. Yeah, they did subcontract out to whomever was cheapest. I steer clear of the big box guys and whomever they round up for work. I tend to do everything myself but for something like countertops where the material investment is high and the install requires special tools or knowledge, I leave it to the pros. Same with carpet. I could probably figure it out but I dont want to be the one on the hook for telling my wife I just cut a $2,000 roll of carpet 2 inches too short.
Appreciate 0