02-25-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
FriedPiston
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Scraper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Do you think Chance the rapper is mainstream enough and can make enough hits to save hip hop? I personally only know 1 of his songs and have been listening to hip hop since about 1995. Kendrick Lamar is another perfect example of the same, he cannot appeal to enough people to truly breakthrough to everyone. He is skilled, but his style is not for everyone. Drake (I hate to say this) is a part R&B rapper that has a strong pop persona and literally sings on half his songs (it has also been said that he doesn't write anything himself). Personally, just like Rock and Rock back in the day, I think that modern EDM and Hip Hop has peaked and will not be as mainstream in the future.
Realistically, Chance probably doesn't have a chance to be around long if he doesn't stay grinding like Drake has for a decade+. Although, he is considered mainstream in terms of social status having been a guest on Ellen a few times.

The media tried to put Drake under scrutiny for having a ghost writer for a single verse on his 10 Bands track. We're talking about one verse, and now people assume he doesn't write his own songs. There's a reason why Meek Mill is no longer relevant, and he pretty much murdered his own career when he thought Drake was a softie rapper. This is how the term "Twitter Fingers" started.

1MOREMOD said it best. Everything evolves, but sometimes old people don't. People need to adapt constantly to changes, or we'll be stuck like an old stubborn IT guy refusing to move on from Windows XP.
Appreciate 0