12-22-2016, 08:03 AM   #27
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
Everything needs context and nearly all car buyers actually have some kind limit on how much they can spend. IOW, one really should compare cars at any given price point. I have a 2007 Z4 M Coupe that I paid $22k for and this car has soul to burn (especially with the Stromung mufflers). I F!@#$#!$ LOVE THIS CAR. No way on God's green earth would I rather drive any equivalent newer BMW in that same price range - let's say 20 to 30k.

The other problem I have with the OP's OP (lol, that's the Original Poster's original post) is, as said above, comparing cars that are two generations apart. For example, when the E46 M3 came out it was very special compared to other cars on sale at the time - and as far as I know some guy in 2002 can't buy a car made in the future.

Lastly, for me it NEVER makes sense to buy a current generation car. Look how much car I got for $22k. In today's money this car would be about $70,000 new. That's a ton of scratch.

More context attached.
This. Not like the guy considering a new M3 can also consider the 3 series coming out somewhere in the distant future. Take a price range and compare the current new 3 series to the M that is the same price and possibly the acceleration is the same but if that is all you are looking for I would recommend going somewhere else.