View Single Post
      07-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #1071
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
You might recognize my daughter if you were/are regular at Bartletts. She was a hostess there all last year and then moved to North where she s now. She is in college now but she worked at Bartletts in high school and last summer. It was this spring that she started at North.

The ribs at Bartletts are my wife's favorite. The place used to be Houston's and the guy that it's named for was the manager from the day it opened. When Houston's decided to close it, he bought it from them and changed the name but not much about the menu. He had a heart attack not too long after buying it out, kind of a sad story.

I live down at the other end of Greystone on Valburn. We have been eating at Chinatown for as long as it's been open. The first one was the one out on Bee Caves. We don't do dim sum because my wife found out there is chicken's feet in some of the soup. When that happened, dim sum was never tried again. That was way back in the 90s at Tien Hong over on Burnet Road. I like Chinatown though, the regular menu has some good stuff on it but it's kind of pricey. We also go to the sushi place below it.

Now to the Carillon, that is at the AT&T conference center which my first cousin is the general manager for. I haven't eaten there but my oldest daughter who lives in Plano had a sorority get together there with some of her old sisters at some kind of alumni event about a month ago and said it was great. I probably need to try it.
I wouldn't be surprised! I stick out like a sore thumb at Bartlett's because I solo dine there often and I order the same thing every time (ribs and fries). For whatever reason the combination of my age, dining frequency, and ordering consistency piques the interest of waiters/waitresses.

Just hearing the name 'Tien Hong' brings back great memories for me. My younger brother and I grew up with Tien Hong's dim sum. I still think they had the best steamed shrimp dumplings of any dim sum restaurant in Austin to this day. I loved their coating. It was doughy and savory and had a nice 'bite' to it. I also loved their chili oil. I really miss that place.

I'm over near the intersection of 360 and Westlake Dr. (basically one turn South along 360 in Davenport ranch) and so I get a lot of mileage out of the restaurants located west/northwest and in the domain. Bartlett's, too, is essentially a straight shot along 2222 from 360 (and a great drive to boot, I love that windy road! It's second only to 2244/Bee Caves Rd West towards the galleria on being ideal for spirited driving)

I've actually never tried Musashino! I'm not really big on sushi, but everyone usually raves about Uchi and Uchiko being the best sushi places in Austin. I personally think they're both a little overrated, but they're good. They have some interesting dessert selections as well.
Appreciate 0