07-16-2014, 09:53 PM   #1069
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX View Post
Awesome, it looks like we have a quite a few Austinites in this thread!

If you're a fan of crab cakes, I think Bartlett's ( http://bartlettsaustin.com/ ) has one of the better crab cakes in Austin. They use jumbo lump crab and very little filler compared to most other restaurants. I will warn you though, the accompanying pommery mustard sauce is a little disagreeable to my palate. It's not awful but it's a little strange. Personally I'm a big fan of the baby back ribs (hill country bbq sauce notwithstanding) at Bartlett's because they brine them for 24-48 hours.

Edit: See my post below for more suggestions (fried shrimp).
You might recognize my daughter if you were/are regular at Bartletts. She was a hostess there all last year and then moved to North where she s now. She is in college now but she worked at Bartletts in high school and last summer. It was this spring that she started at North.

The ribs at Bartletts are my wife's favorite. The place used to be Houston's and the guy that it's named for was the manager from the day it opened. When Houston's decided to close it, he bought it from them and changed the name but not much about the menu. He had a heart attack not too long after buying it out, kind of a sad story.

I live down at the other end of Greystone on Valburn. We have been eating at Chinatown for as long as it's been open. The first one was the one out on Bee Caves. We don't do dim sum because my wife found out there is chicken's feet in some of the soup. When that happened, dim sum was never tried again. That was way back in the 90s at Tien Hong over on Burnet Road. I like Chinatown though, the regular menu has some good stuff on it but it's kind of pricey. We also go to the sushi place below it.

Now to the Carillon, that is at the AT&T conference center which my first cousin is the general manager for. I haven't eaten there but my oldest daughter who lives in Plano had a sorority get together there with some of her old sisters at some kind of alumni event about a month ago and said it was great. I probably need to try it.
Appreciate 0