Thread: RIP Paul Walker
View Single Post
      12-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #145
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

FWIW, I am of the opinion that had they been in a GTR, doing the same speed, this would not have happened. The AWD, and stability/traction mechanisms would have kept them on track (so to speak). Speed was an issue, but so was the car.

Quite honestly, the M3 is pretty much the power limit of what I think is safe to use on public roads in a RWD configuration, and that too, with the stability mechanisms engaged. I tried getting a little aggressive one time with everything full off, and it was quite unpredictable how the back end would behave over even the smallest road imperfections. And my speed was well within what one would consider reasonable.

Every type of car configuration has it pros and cons. While RWD cars enjoy more steering precision and a more dynamic feel, there comes a point where too high a power level makes this a less than optimal configuration, and sometimes just plain dangerous.

What may the best overall car in RWD configuration?...probably a Cayman S. The right weight, the right layout, the right power to truly optimize the benefits of RWD. I used to own a 350Z a number of years back. 300hp, 270lb-ft, and 245/275 tires. It was a perfect RWD car actually. I could use all the power, and still have full control of the vehicle.

A car like the CGT is just outright dangerous. It is known to be a very difficult to control car, even in the best hands. If you really take a look around at a lot of this exotic level of machinery that is a fantasy for many of us, you will also find that a disproportionate number of people die driving these types of cars. That should tell you something.