BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

04-01-2024, 09:56 AM   #7459
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

I drove my green insanity shitbox pinto EV aka BigControlSystem today and tried the FSD for the first time. I let it take me to work. Did pretty well. I turned it off on a longer boring stretch because it was going a bit slower than the flow of traffic. I prefer to drive. I've a month to experiment with it though.

This concludes my TED talk.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #7460
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Snotty BBC know-it-all gets fileted.

https://t.co/j0KAwRwWgr
Third world has zero F's to give to Green Insanity elites.
Appreciate 2
TboneS541053.00
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 11:07 AM   #7461
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Electric vehicle explodes inside Boulder garage: 'Sounded like an aircraft had crashed'

Everyone evacuated safely Saturday morning after an electric vehicle started smoking and exploded in a garage.
Once on the scene, fire crews requested additional support after the vehicle exploded.
“Firefighters remain on scene ventilating the home that filled with smoke during the incident and working to remove the vehicles safely from the garage,” said Boulder Fire-Rescue on social media.
https://www.denver7.com/news/local-n...boulder-garage

Not a April fools but fools are involved.
Appreciate 3
M5Rick60842.00
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 11:39 AM   #7462
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Addicted View Post
Electric vehicle explodes inside Boulder garage: 'Sounded like an aircraft had crashed'

Everyone evacuated safely Saturday morning after an electric vehicle started smoking and exploded in a garage.
Once on the scene, fire crews requested additional support after the vehicle exploded.
“Firefighters remain on scene ventilating the home that filled with smoke during the incident and working to remove the vehicles safely from the garage,” said Boulder Fire-Rescue on social media.

Be interesting to see how EV hazmat smoke filled houses end up being treated by insurance.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 11:55 AM   #7463
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Volvo XC60 PHEV - hybrid. Not clear what exploded.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 04:27 PM   #7464
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Why plug-in hybrids consume (much) more fuel than expected
A recent study published by the European Commission reports that plug-in hybrid cars are actually considerably more polluting than carmakers claim. On average, they produce around 3.5 times the emissions that they theoretically should, with drivers using more fuel than initially estimated.
To explain this difference, the report points out that drivers don't typically use these hybrids in electric mode as often as they could, whereas in testing, the automakers use them in an optimized way. Owners of these vehicles make much more medium- to long-distance journeys on secondary or trunk roads, where the combustion engine is put to work, rather than at low speeds in town, where the electric motor takes over.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...9c1d365a&ei=19

Lugging around 800lbs of batteries increases fuel consumption. Who Knew?
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 04:37 PM   #7465
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
A recent study published by the European Commission reports that plug-in hybrid cars are actually considerably more polluting than carmakers claim. On average, they produce around 3.5 times the emissions that they theoretically should, with drivers using more fuel than initially estimated.
To explain this difference, the report points out that drivers don't typically use these hybrids in electric mode as often as they could, whereas in testing, the automakers use them in an optimized way. Owners of these vehicles make much more medium- to long-distance journeys on secondary or trunk roads, where the combustion engine is put to work, rather than at low speeds in town, where the electric motor takes over.

Not a fan of PHEVs either.
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2024, 05:29 PM   #7466
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

People buy them for Green cred and then use them like normal people, funny.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 06:06 PM   #7467
King_Leonard
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Burning through tires...

EV tires are 50% more expensive and replaced 20% more often.

Appreciate 3
M5Rick60842.00
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 06:10 PM   #7468
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Leonard View Post
EV tires are 50% more expensive and replaced 20% more often.

When you come from an M5 then this is a moot point.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:08 PM   #7469
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Man View Post
People buy them for Green cred and then use them like normal people, funny.
It still astounds me how can so many people willing to plop down a huge amount of money for a vehicle that they aren’t willing to spend just maybe a little time to get to know and make better use of in their use case. It’s not even about being a car enthusiast, it’s about how laissez faire people can be, it’s a fucking expensive purchase.

The manufacturers can do a better job for sure to make these things known to the consumer and make their vehicles more user friendly to even the lowest common denominator as well. Not everyone is going to be a techno nerd willing to spend time diving through the menus.

Yes I’m in the market for a PHEV to replace the family X5, because as I preached many times, use case works for me. And you can damn well know it I’d be spending maybe just 10-20 minutes to make best use of an expensive purchase

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2024, 07:32 PM   #7470
Weather Man
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyriian View Post
It still astounds me how can so many people willing to plop down a huge amount of money for a vehicle that they aren’t willing to spend just maybe a little time to get to know and make better use of in their use case. It’s not even about being a car enthusiast, it’s about how laissez faire people can be, it’s a fucking expensive purchase.

The manufacturers can do a better job for sure to make these things known to the consumer and make their vehicles more user friendly to even the lowest common denominator as well. Not everyone is going to be a techno nerd willing to spend time diving through the menus.

Yes I’m in the market for a PHEV to replace the family X5, because as I preached many times, use case works for me. And you can damn well know it I’d be spending maybe just 10-20 minutes to make best use of an expensive purchase
I thought hard about buying a F-150 Hybrid to replace my 2016 F-150. I really really liked the onboard 7.2 generator on it. Just couldn't get past the fact that I would have a large lithium battery parked in my garage every night.
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 08:16 PM   #7471
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It's interesting how this thread has just become more and more of a political bitch session by those that hate EVs and being upset about the "Green Grift" or whatever the F that means. This thread stinks more and more of politics and the anger of one particular politcal party based on the those I see starting to respond more and more. Sad that it always comes down to this crap. So much for debating, listening, and compromise.
      04-01-2024, 08:38 PM   #7472
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It's interesting how this thread has just become more and more of a political bitch session by those that hate EVs and being upset about the "Green Grift" or whatever the F that means.
If you had taken the time to watch this video you would know something about the "Green Grift". But I know you're not real big on facts so carry on trying to insult others rather than engage in honest discourse.

Appreciate 3
M5Rick60842.00
Andrew2180.00
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-01-2024, 08:58 PM   #7473
gonzo
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: as many as possible

Quote:
It's interesting how this thread has just become more and more of a political bitch session by those that hate EVs and being upset about the "Green Grift" or whatever the F that means. This thread stinks more and more of politics and the anger of one particular politcal party based on the those I see starting to respond more and more. Sad that it always comes down to this crap. So much for debating, listening, and compromise.
Wait, wait, wait.

This thread is more and more political, to you?

W
T
H do you think the problem for millions of people is?
Political force bs, that's what.

Geez.

* Not one post have I bashed ev's. Not one post bashing ev owners. I don't give 2 pistachios as to what people want to drive. Go for it. Do what you want...

WHILE YOU STILL CAN.

Prescribing what I should/must drive is the thorn.

Last edited by gonzo; 04-01-2024 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 6
lakefront560.50
kyriian886.00
M5Rick60842.00
KRS_SN13626.50
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 02:47 AM   #7474
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

There's a song called Airport by a well known band and every time I hear it I think of the Luton and Gatwick car parks
Appreciate 1
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 02:55 AM   #7475
Tomazius
Registered
Rep
Drives: Numerous e90, e92, e46

My beliefs are on Hybrids and sustainable fuel using same old ICE's
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 03:09 AM   #7476
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Would-be Tesla buyers snub company as Musk's reputation dips
Mon, Apr 1, 2024
Caliber's "consideration score" for Tesla, provided exclusively to Reuters, fell to 31% in February, less than half its high of 70% in November 2021 when it started tracking consumer interest in the brand.
Tesla's consideration score fell 8 percentage points from January alone even as Caliber's scores for Mercedes, BMW and Audi, which produce gas as well as EV models, inched up during that same period, reaching 44-47%.
Reuters spoke to five marketing, polling and car experts who said controversies surrounding Musk's increasingly right-wing politics and public statements are weighing on Tesla's brand and demand.
"It is hard enough to win sales without getting into politics," said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.
Brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance found Tesla's reputation fell in 2023 in the United States, the Netherlands, France, United Kingdom, and Australia. Tesla's reputation did not suffer in China, where access to news on the company and its CEO may have been limited, and Germany.
Kat Beyer, a climate activist in Wisconsin, said she wanted to avoid Tesla because of Musk's support for Republicans, but wound up buying a Model Y last year because of a lack of EVs with reliable charging infrastructure.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...100751111.html

So it really is about politics when it comes to one particular group.
I guess since Musk is now a right-wing zellot I should run right out and buy a Tesla. When Pigs fly.

Appreciate 3
M5Rick60842.00
KRS_SN13626.50
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 03:18 AM   #7477
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.88]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomazius View Post
My beliefs are on Hybrids and sustainable fuel using same old ICE's
I consider most "Hybrids" the worst of both worlds. We can do so much better. When battery technology gets away from dangerous and environmentally damaging batteries and systems are developed that run the ICE in conjunction with the EV power we may be getting somewhere. When this combination allows small displacement turbos combined with EV's to have the range of a ICE and the horse power and torque of a far greater displacement ICE I might be a buyer. As long as the company shares my political views.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 03:43 AM   #7478
Tomazius
Registered
Rep
Drives: Numerous e90, e92, e46

Quote:
I consider most "Hybrids" the worst of both worlds. We can do so much better. When battery technology gets away from dangerous and environmentally damaging batteries and systems are developed that run the ICE in conjunction with the EV power we may be getting somewhere. When this combination allows small displacement turbos combined with EV's to have the range of a ICE and the horse power and torque of a far greater displacement ICE I might be a buyer. As long as the company shares my political views.
Well that comes out as politics now. When talking green one should be vary of the other side of the world doing same, if not, don't really see the point, sorry. From a consumer POV we can see how popular a Prius is, hell that thing goes like 3.8 liters/100km, taxi and uber-like people love it, if the looks weren't of an issue, I might consider myself one too
Appreciate 2
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 04:03 AM   #7479
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
From the beginning of the modern reintroduction of the electric car in 1990 as purposed by CARB-initiated California pollution legislation, the topic of EV has been political. Since the passing of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which allowed for a Federal $3,750 tax credit for individuals to claim for purchase of hybrids. Then that tax credit doubled in 2009 under the American Recovery Act (max. $7,500) for BEV, which was extended and revamped under the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. That Act also drastically and massively increased Federal investment in EV adoption.

On top of the sun setting of the ICE by California legislation beginning in 2026 and finishing to 100% in 2035, with possibly 17 other "CARB" states following along.

So why would the discussion not be political.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-02-2024 at 04:11 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60842.00
eugenebmw1542.00
      04-02-2024, 05:23 AM   #7480
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
From the beginning of the modern reintroduction of the electric car in 1990 as purposed by CARB-initiated California pollution legislation, the topic of EV has been political. Since the passing of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, which allowed for a Federal $3,750 tax credit for individuals to claim for purchase of hybrids. Then that tax credit doubled in 2009 under the American Recovery Act (max. $7,500) for BEV, which was extended and revamped under the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. That Act also drastically and massively increased Federal investment in EV adoption.

On top of the sun setting of the ICE by California legislation beginning in 2026 and finishing to 100% in 2035, with possibly 17 other "CARB" states following along.

So why would the discussion not be political.
EV’s are so good, that the government has tried to bribe you to take them first and then mandate them after that didn’t work. All while actively ignoring the environmental impact of the manufacture prior to sale and after the car is no longer usable (batteries in scrap heap). Very convenient - “ZERO EMISSIONS” folks! All the while massive grants and preferential lending is given by governments to manufacturers to perpetuate this nonsense.

Nope, not political at all
Appreciate 3
Efthreeoh17384.00
eugenebmw1542.00