BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

07-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

Bad Gas: I'm a believer

My 2007 535xi has had intermittent problems with rough starts, stumbling and engine lights (reduced power). Took it to the dealer who said everything checked out, no problems with injectors or the HPFP and that my problem was bad gas. He reccomended Shell, which is the only tier one gas supplier in my town. I did some research (love "search") and started to go out of my way to use Shell with no problems noted.
Driving to western michigan two weeks ago, needed to get gas outside of Okemos and filled up with Mobil. Big mistake. Car ran rough, failed to start easily and threw numerous engine warning lights all week long. Filled up with Shell at week's end prior to the return trip, and all is well!
I bought some Chevron gas additive (with Techron) to carry with me in case I need to fill up and can't find tier one gasoline as my research suggests that this Techron is in fact what is added to gaoline by tier one providers.
Interestingly, my 2007 Mcoupe has never had these problems and I don't always use Shell in it, perhpas it is because it doesn't have direct injection and a HPFP.
Bottom line: gasoline type and brand matters and if you are having problems, go with the tier one providers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #2
dadC4s
Rep
Drives:

NOT bad gas, No Longer a believer

Well, it was too good to be true. 9 hours into a 16 hour drive to Maine, just outside Albany, NY, the car goes limp. Engine Malfunction warning, low power and a VERY sluggish car.
Used BMW Assist for the first time ever. They got us to the nearest Dealer, Keeler, and we rolled in to their lot at 5:50 pm. Service dept closes at 6.
We were introduced to a service tech who said he would diagnose the problem in 10-15 minutes but based on the story, he thought it was the high pressure fuel pump (hpfp)
Sure enough it was. They said they would fix it that night, that they had the parts and it would take 2 hours. Remember, it is now 6:20 and this place closed 20 minutes ago. Remember, it's friday night.
They then showed us to the courtesy van which would take us to a local restaraunt of out choice while the work was being done. 2 hours later, they delivered our car, fixed and purring like a kitten, to us at the restaraunt and we were on our way. Truly, one of the most remarkable customer satisfaction experiences of my life. Remember the name, Keeler BMW in Latham, N.Y. (Albany)
Bad gas my ass.......
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #3
ianmosiah
Rep
Drives: Black 2014 535 M Sport

funny enough I have the same problem and after a few trips to my ft lauderdale dealer.....a new hpfp ....walnut intake cleaning...brand new battery...i still have the same problem .....rough start in the morn and if i havent driven the car all day its a rough start if i start the car on the way home.......any thoughts? A friend of mine told me that it could be the ignition module.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
racooper3
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 e93 335i

Garage List
2005 BMW 545  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by synystar View Post
funny enough I have the same problem and after a few trips to my ft lauderdale dealer.....a new hpfp ....walnut intake cleaning...brand new battery...i still have the same problem .....rough start in the morn and if i havent driven the car all day its a rough start if i start the car on the way home.......any thoughts? A friend of mine told me that it could be the ignition module.
Hey did Pembroke Pines BMW do the walnut cleaning on intake valves? How much was that job if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 07:23 PM   #5
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

this thread disappoints. with a title of "Bad Gas", I thought for sure we'd be discussing burritos and pizza.

In all seriousness, did BMW replace it under warranty? IIRC the fuel pump is covered for 10 years or 100K miles.
Appreciate 0