BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

09-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Brave New World : BMW's (Front) Wheel Drive Future...

Brave New World...BMW's (Front) Wheel Drive Future...

* 1001 Is the models internal designation.

It is possibly the most irregular concept that strikes fear into BMW enthusiasts everywhere.

In marketing BMW has always kept the BMW image strong by 3 core principles. Image , Dynamics and Rear Wheel Drive.
Now with the revelation that BMW have indeed drawn up plans to introduce a Front Wheel Drive car the reactions get louder and increase the debate and the fear.

First of all contrary to media reports and enthusiasts of the BMW brand , Front Wheel Drive is part of a strategy to help the next generation MINI and it's future variants to become more profitable and more cost effective for BMW to produce.
Initial strategies had lead to talks with PSA , Fiat and of course Daimler where the beginnings of a proposed MINI and Smart sharing programme disintegrated when BMW decided to go it alone.

The online enthusiast board reaction has been to overwhelm the negatives of the BMW philosophy but some overlook one very important ideal - BMW already do Front Wheel Drive and do it well , a car that has seen off new impressive competition such as the Fiat 500 and Audi A1 when it comes to make a Front Wheel drive car that handles , has a great image and offers the customer a perfect choice of flexibility. It is called the MINI.

The Front Wheel drive BMW is limited to a small car concept that will remain within this segment only. BMW have no intention to completely kill it's golden goose and sacrifice it's core models such as the 1er , 3er , 5er etc to accomodate Front Wheel Drive. These models will remain rear wheel drive.

The key to this is a brand new compact platform shared with the MINI that if the first outcome is successful then BMW will build a range of models to support it's new segment. This new Platform which has been engineered to support the MINI and BMW 1001 will be used within each Brands variants. MINI of course will be the first to expand and after an establishment period has indicated that BMW's concept was a success then BMW's design teams have on the table a range of additional concepts for the expansion. Another key to the cost effectiveness of the car is that engines will also be shared as well manual,automatic and electric drivetrains. Engines will also be shared ranging from three and Four cylinders in both petrol and diesel format.

The big issue facing engineers and designers is whether to imitate the BMW Concept or start afresh aiming for an entirely new appearance to signify this new direction? You will have typical BMW design elements but reinterpreted to give a new impression of a totally different idea of a BMW.

The overall shape of the car differs completely from the typical MINI format , the closest intention on the market today is possibly the Honda CR-Z. In order to really sell home the concept. BMW wants the car to really strike out not just from the MINI but also it's competition.

The designers have gone for an edgier three-dimensional appearance in it's explanation it forgoes the use of lines to enhance wheelarches and now becomes more Three-Dimension as it is now stamped so you can see the widening of the rear quarter.

One idea intended to signify the new direction for BMW is expanded design cues talked about previously such as an enclosed normal glasshouse that is pushed inwards allowing a line that curves around the rear window forming the typical BMW kink impression in metal instead of the glass that follows through the doors to the front wing. The A-Pillars follow the direction shown with the Vision Efficient Dynamics concept and continue down into the front wing leaving a typical BMW wheel at each corner look , triangular shaped lights sit upon each corner, with the typical BMW double round headlights stepped with one slightly below the other another idea is the inclusion of indicator signals directly underneath the angel eyes.

The front of the car gets a smaller twin kidney grille again more three-dimensional as the front of the car allows the grille to be pushed further back.

At the rear of the car we have typical on each corner light units faired inwards with the body covering over the top parts of the units.
An expansive glass area wraps around but leaves a reasonable typical BMW C-Pillar. The shape of the glasshouse is dictated by the shape of the roof allowing a typical BMW sloping roof.

The stand-out stylish design has been chosen to really signify the new direction , a regular typical hatch would not be a major selling point to deliver the concept.

The interior will be unique to the car but as per BMW group the stuff you can see will be individual to the brand whilst the wiring etc will be shared across with MINI and BMW.

Another key factor for BMW is the driving comparisons with MINI and how the engineers will go to lengths to make sure that both MINI and the BMW 1001 offer as much differences underneath as they do in appearance.

The MINI will retain it's typical MINI Go-Kart trademark handling whilst BMW will be looking for a more dynamic approach , both levels of dynamics for both cars are attainable.

The 1001 will be used as a guinea pig to establish whether there is a market for a new BMW concept but the general idea of thinking ahead is very much evident in ideas for additional concepts.

The 3dr city car will come first but other ideas on the table seem to indicate an expansive strategy with a cabrio , small SAV or possibly Sport Activity Coupe , a Compact Tourer and even a small sedan.

One other thing in regarding to the 1001 is that it will not offer an expansive personalistion programme in the same vein as MINI, there will possibly be more of an personalisation in the guise of performance parts but the problem with personalisation is that since the advent of the MINI competitors have begun to realise the profits generated by specifying optional equipment , to which newer competitors have crossed the lines of what personalisation involves with more image enhancement - some very much in bad taste.

What about Performance , What about M?
Again it is too early to reveal whether such a concept will be attempted by the M Division such as the thought of which is causing sharp gasps of air at the mention of M Division and Front Wheel Drive?

What has been discussed and actually has been added by a designer is an RR model using the colour pallette from the S1000RR Superbike.
Something that has caught the attention of the BMW board and marketing because it establishes a new performance concept without sullying the sacred M Division although many feel that has already been done.

Why the need for a Premium Front wheel drive Concept from BMW?
The recent recession taught us that customers are willing to downsize to other segments if there vehicles offer the same luxuries and features as traditional luxury concepts. The prime example being MINI where in some markets for MINI sales were actually rising it was only to further examination that a higher majority of these cars were being built with nearly every option in the brochure.

To signify the importance BMW will preview the City Car concept in the future and be ready for launch in 2014.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Jake C
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i 2010 335d

Thank you for the info.

- J
      09-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

thanks for this!
      09-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #4
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

great info, thanks!

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #5
335iTrace
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Audi S5 V8

Great info! If anything Id love to see a M car with all wheel drive! (aside from X's)

M6 all wheel drive with a twin turbo v10? Audi R8 killer?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

excellent name choice!

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post

The Front Wheel drive BMW is limited to a small car concept that will remain within this segment only. BMW have no intention to completely kill it's golden goose and sacrifice it's core models such as the 1er , 3er , 5er etc to accomodate Front Wheel Drive. These models will remain rear wheel drive.
Great news...that particular "What if" crossed my mind once or twice.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
goat128
Rep
Drives: e34

Quote:
another idea is the inclusion of indicator signals directly underneath the angel eyes.
It sounds very audi-ish to me, I hope they would keep it more traditional looking.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Brave New World...BMW's (Front) Wheel Drive Future...

What has been discussed and actually has been added by a designer is an RR model using the colour pallette from the S1000RR Superbike.
Something that has caught the attention of the BMW board and marketing because it establishes a new performance concept without sullying the sacred M Division although many feel that has already been done.

That's sounds very interesting and exciting!

Leif
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

We know to some that this car is a form of Blasphemy but at least the design team have made sure that it will be a "sexy" looking kind of Blasphemy.

Personally I think it's appearance will be it's main drawing card , it will be so different , so individual to it's competitors that use a conventional 3dr hatch shape. If you get that right then to some, whether it is front or real drive will not be the concern it is made out to be. Even though it will be made to fullfill all of the expectations of a typical BMW...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iTrace View Post
Great info! If anything Id love to see a M car with all wheel drive! (aside from X's)

M6 all wheel drive with a twin turbo v10? Audi R8 killer?
...No.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 07:10 AM   #12
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

EPIC FAIL! Quick profits now, BMW becomes just another car manufacturer later. I can just imagine all the bashing commercials that are going to come out from other manufacturers when they "quote" BMW doing exactly the opposite of what made who they were a few years back.
      09-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
jeffnnj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

I was more then surprised to find out that the next generation 6 Series will be available all-wheel drive. Our 6 customers almost exclusively use them as summer/fair weather drivers while most of our E93 customers use theirs daily. If BMW really wants to destroy Audi in this segment, an all-wheel drive 3 series should do the trick. When you factor in the hard top it would be a no-brainer which brand to buy. I wish I could understand their thinking.
2002 M3 Convertible Titanium Silver/Black(retired)
1998 328i Convertible Arctic Silver/Gray(retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #14
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Quote:
We know to some that this car is a form of Blasphemy but at least the design team have made sure that it will be a "sexy" looking kind of Blasphemy.

Personally I think it's appearance will be it's main drawing card , it will be so different , so individual to it's competitors that use a conventional 3dr hatch shape. If you get that right then to some, whether it is front or real drive will not be the concern it is made out to be. Even though it will be made to fullfill all of the expectations of a typical BMW...
Making statements like this on a RWD based forum is pathetic.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Harold Wood
Chopperphoto
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Loadsabimmers

Another good post from you Scott, I have tried to render a 1001 based on your details ( 1001 sounds like a carpet cleaner! ).
keep supplying us with future developments.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:31 AM   #16
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The reason the Mini handles and drives well is because it's LIGHT... something like 2500 lbs.

FWD is a terrible, terrible idea that will further distance BMW from its foundation - the enthusiast driver with an appreciation of dynamics and engineering.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 05:23 AM   #17
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

im more concerned about the m divisions deviations from tradition and roots and how cars are getting heavier
Appreciate 0