BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

03-01-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

Help! Urgent! 2009 528xi e60 sedan what size spark plug socket I need?

Hey guys, I'm replacing my spark plugs and coils right now and I am pretty much stranded in a small town. I need to order a correct socket fast, so it can be delivered today till evening. Is it 5/8 one or 3/8 - 12 point or usual 6 point? Any links so I can see what socket I need? What length extender I need? Any caveats or it's a straight DIY without any issues?
Your answers are much appreciated!

Update: Ok, so I ordered 16mm hex socket - is it the one? I googled and it looks like 14mm is used only on turbo models right?
Thanks.

Last edited by WhiteBeard; 03-01-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
WhiteBeard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slowly

So yeah - thanks for the overwhelming replies - it took me a day to read all of them

Anyway, for future readers and anyone who will be stuck in my situation - YES you need 16mm hex socket. 14mm is probably for turbo models with thinner spark plugs.

Changed all coils and spark plugs. Hardest part was removing 2 bolts holding engine cover in the back. That's why you need to disassemble microfilter and some other stuff.
A tip: after you are all done - don't put those 2 bolts back in the engine cover - use only 2 front bolts, cover is not going to run anywhere. That way next time you need access to coils and spark plugs - all it takes is taking out 2 bolts in front of engine cover and there you go - like 2 min top.
Appreciate 0