BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

01-02-2024, 12:14 PM   #1
FastEnough
Registered
Norway
Rep
Drives: E61 530D.E36 323i

Large battery drainage

Hey!
First post here, hopefully someone can help me out

I recently bought a e61 530d preface, really happy with it but lately I been having som issues.

About a week ago I tried to start it but I had a hard time, so I left it because I had to get to work. Next morning I tried again but this time nothing had power, couldn’t unlock the door, no lights on the dashboard and nothing happened when I turned on the ignition. I tried to jump it with a small battery from an electric car but nothing changed. I then opened the trunk to measure the battery and it was at 1.7 volts, I assumed it was the battery being dead because it was from 2007.

I bought a new battery and removed the old one. There was some water in the bottom of the battery compartment that I dried up. Heard from friends that this is a normal problem, but I can’t find where it’s coming from. I checked under the spare wheel but it was completely dry, same with the fuse box.

When I connected the new battery it started just fine and everything worked except a fault code on active steering. Didn’t code the new battery because my mhd adapter didn’t work but I assumed it would last one day. However yesterday I came out to the car being dead again, the voltage was 5,9V. I don’t know where to start. I will try to remove every fuse one by one to find out if the drainage stops.

It doesn’t seem like there was water everywhere else but in the battery compartment.
Could this be related to the faulty active steering?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2024, 07:37 AM   #2
UNHleaSHD
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E61 530Dm 2004

The e60 has a lots going with battery drainage. Check under the booth all those modules.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:15 PM   #3
Itsyimmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 528XI

im also having issues with battery drain. need to start with looking at wiring for license plate lamps as i have a check control message for right lamp. ive heard thats a common issue as the wires rub from the trunk opening and closing.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 01:17 PM   #4
Itsyimmy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 08 bmw 528XI

be careful just pulling fuses. look up how to do a parasitic draw test the proper way so you dont miss something and end up chasing your tail.
Appreciate 0