proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

05-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #67
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [8.33]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
My bad, I saw MSRP and then a bunch of $0's underneath so I assumed they were all part of the standard base model. Why doesn't BMW start with base MSRP then list the price of each package/option?
in canada it works differently then in US, i looked up on their bmw site so i saw that it was odd more options on m5 and less on m4

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #68
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I just traded in my M5 for an M4 so guess where my vote lands.

The M5 is a very, very confused car. It is too heavy for the track and too fast for the street and as such there is no way to use the performance that it offers. It is master of the freeway no doubt, but throw a few curves in and you can't hide the weight. Do I really need soft close door, power moonroof shade, a power trunk and 20 way adjustable seats? These options were great in my 750, but way overkill in a hyper sedan. It is easy to be lured in by the power of the M5 (as I was and it was a bucket list car for me), but living with it day to day and struggling for traction below 80 mph made it seem a little stupid. The other issue was the complete lack of differentiation from the 535 MSport. Call me vain, but if I am paying for an M car I want it to look different than the base model. On the other hand I would throw money down today on an M5 CSL that weighed 3600 lbs. Strip out all of the extraneous power crap, carbon shell manual seats and removing some of the sound deadening would get 80% of the way there. That car would be a category killer.

The M4 in comparison strikes a very good balance of power vs usability. It is a very fast car, but feels like you can still stretch it's legs. it is a blast to throw into corners and you can even get it loose if you like.

Overall one of, if not the best car decision I have made for my personal tastes.

Appreciate 4
      05-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #69
rmedeir1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW MW M4 - MPE, CCBs, all CF

I don't like the size of the m5 or m6. M4 all the way for me and that's exactly what I did since cash was not the issue. M4 is much more versatile and responsive track-wise and I don't feel like I am in a tank.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #70
BwoodBMW
Colonel
Rep
Drives: EFFEIGHTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

The M5 is a very, very confused car. It is too heavy for the track and too fast for the street and as such there is no way to use the performance that it offers. It is master of the freeway no doubt, but throw a few curves in and you can't hide the weight. Do I really need soft close door, power moonroof shade, a power trunk and 20 way adjustable seats? These options were great in my 750, but way overkill in a hyper sedan. It is easy to be lured in by the power of the M5 (as I was and it was a bucket list car for me), but living with it day to day and struggling for traction below 80 mph made it seem a little stupid. The other issue was the complete lack of differentiation from the 535 MSport. Call me vain, but if I am paying for an M car I want it to look different than the base model. On the other hand I would throw money down today on an M5 CSL that weighed 3600 lbs. Strip out all of the extraneous power crap, carbon shell manual seats and removing some of the sound deadening would get 80% of the way there. That car would be a category killer.

The M4 in comparison strikes a very good balance of power vs usability. It is a very fast car, but feels like you can still stretch it's legs. it is a blast to throw into corners and you can even get it loose if you like.

Overall one of, if not the best car decision I have made for my personal tastes.

thats helpful... still debating a used M5 vs a new M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 12:47 AM   #71
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

M5 hands down!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 02:14 AM   #72
cars88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2013 750i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post

I realized, I needed to get something smaller and sportier after I enjoyed driving my 328d loaner more than my 750i. So I sold my X5 and ordered the M4. Funny how that happens!
2011 Carrera S Cpe PDK-Gone
2011 MB CLS550 Sport-Gone
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #73
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3

M5
Appreciate 0