BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs)

01-28-2024, 10:05 PM   #1
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Wax, Sealant, Glaze on Ceramic Coating?

Hello All,
My routine for the last decade or so has always been as follows. I typically use a spray sealant or spray wax after every car wash. I then will apply a liquid wax and maybe a glaze every few months or so. I'm considering applying a Ceramic Coating to our 2018 BMW 650i though. All of our vehicles have a modern two stage finish (paint/clear), btw.

So, the questions are. Is there any benefit to continuing to use a wax or sealant on top of a ceramic coating? Is there any benefit to using a non abrasive glaze such as Meguiars M3 (machine glaze) or M0716 (show car glaze). Or is there absolutely no benefit and/or is such actually detrimental in some fashion?

God Bless,
Ralph
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #2
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Glaze is just a thing of the past and has no real value in today's world.

Following up with the topper of the same brand of the ceramic is recommended and good practice to keep the coating performing properly. Wax/Sealants are fine, but again ceramic sprays are much more effective and last longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:16 PM   #3
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nettles View Post
Glaze is just a thing of the past and has no real value in today's world.

Following up with the topper of the same brand of the ceramic is recommended and good practice to keep the coating performing properly. Wax/Sealants are fine, but again ceramic sprays are much more effective and last longer.
Thanks Nettles!

I can't agree that glazes are a thing of the past however. Some folks with classic show cars still prefer the depth or luster of a glaze. But their greatest benefit is as a filler that hides microscopic imperfections that even a ceramic coating can develop. Secondly, a glaze such as Meguiars M03 (machine glaze) has some very fine abrasion similar to a cleaner wax. It can be used as an extra step during correction to give the paint additional and phenomenal clarity. So, instead of typical compound/polish/wax; you go with compound/polish/glaze/wax for the extra pop. Otherwise, it can be used as an occasional two-step process (glaze/wax) in leiu of an AIO or cleaner wax; which is meant as a one step process.

I would agree glazes are no longed used simply for the shine though.

Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 02-02-2024 at 09:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:24 PM   #4
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
Thanks Nettles!

I can't agree that glazes are a thing of the past however. Some folks with classic show cars still prefer the depth or luster of a glaze. Secondly, a glaze such as Meguiars M03 (machine glaze) has some very fine abrasion similar to a cleaner wax. It can be used as an extra step during heavy correction to give the paint additional and phenomenal clarity. So, instead of typical compound/polish/wax; you go with compound/polish/glaze/wax for the extra pop. Otherwise, it can be used as an occassional two-step process (glaze/wax) in leiu of a one step process, such as cleaner wax or an AIO.

I would agree glazes are no longed used simply for the shine though.

Ralph
Glazes only really make sense with single stage paint. I cant see much point with modern clearcoats.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 09:36 PM   #5
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock645 View Post
Glazes only really make sense with single stage paint. I cant see much point with modern clearcoats.
Have you ever used a glaze? I'm a retired professional detailer (14 yrs) and have made paint corrections on well over 10k vehicles, most every one with modern clear coats. A typical correction process is three steps (compound, polish, wax). A glaze with some very fine microscopic cutting ability, such as Meguiars M03 (Machine Glaze), can be added as a fourth step in getting the paint to an absolutely mirror like finish. It can bring it to an entirely different level and beyond what a polish can do. I'm actually in the middle of making some corrections on my wife's tanzanite blue BMW 650i as well as my black Cadillac Escalade using M02 and M03. I've tested many products through many decades, including current products, and the results speak for themselves. I've also professionally painted a dozen or more vehicles in both single stage and two stage going back to the early 80's. So, I know a little bit about the subject of painting and paint correction in the automotive industry and other industries. I'm just trying to get caught up on some of the newer items being offered which are worthy of consideration because most of what you see is simply marketing hype. To those who know better. Otherwise, paint correction and care will always be what it is.

Take care,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 02-03-2024 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0