BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

12-15-2017, 11:18 PM   #45
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never_Enough View Post
I'm simply stating facts. If you want a tq monster, the GT350 ain't it. Furthermore, it's gonna handle great on street too, but the real power fun is higher up in the RPM range so may not be so much fun as a street car.
Yep, good article on it: http://www.motortrend.com/news/dyno-...nd-camaro-z28/

Consider that the SS 1LE matches the GT350 around a track, for about 20 grand less, the LT1, like the LS3, still has massive torque under the curve at relatively low RPMs. The ZL1 is for going really bonkers
      12-16-2017, 08:50 AM   #46
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Settled for the focus to have a little more room but I really wanted that fiesta.
Obviously the Fiest ST is under $20k new, but folks are also getting the Focus ST new for under $20k. So I emailed a couple Ford dealers for lease #s since the purchase price is so cheap. Yea, $370+ per mo w/0 down on a lease? No thanks. The Jetta stays lol
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #47
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetohey View Post
Miata/124 Spider, F-Type, Camaro, Cayman/Boxster, 911, Fiesta ST, Focus ST/RS, Civic Si/Type R, BRZ, WRX STi, Golf GTI/R
This is a great somewhat comprehensive list.

I need to go drive it again, but I think the F-Type S/C V6 6MT may be up there with the best despite it being a little on the heavy side. I also love the new Camaro, but it's too commonplace. Is it just me, or is the new camaro smaller than the mustang gt350? Mustang was big to begin with and has gotten relatively enormous where it feels like Chevy has been shrinking the Camaro with each successive generation.
      12-16-2017, 11:57 AM   #48
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
This is a great somewhat comprehensive list.

I need to go drive it again, but I think the F-Type S/C V6 6MT may be up there with the best despite it being a little on the heavy side. I also love the new Camaro, but it's too commonplace. Is it just me, or is the new camaro smaller than the mustang gt350? Mustang was big to begin with and has gotten relatively enormous where it feels like Chevy has been shrinking the Camaro with each successive generation.
I rented one for a weekend a few weekends ago and my completed 2SS 1LE should be arriving any week now.

Inside, the camaro is definitely smaller than the last generation. It's not terribly smaller, but you notice the seats are closer, the doors and other stuff seems closer, etc. The last one was still snug, but you felt like you were inside a pretty large car. The newest one is a little smaller inside. The new chassis (for the camaro) IS smaller than the outgoing one. It's also not a huge change in interior size, but I notice it.

Obviously, the mustang has better visibility inside and a more "upright" cabin, that's the price you pay for the camaro height/looks. That right there makes the mustang feel a lot more open.

Outside, it seems as wide as ever, it's supposedly a bit smaller overall, it's a few hundred lbs lighter, but it hides that all outside IMO.

Trunk opening seems even smaller, one of the compromises to get such a stiff body without resorting to heavier reinforcement or more exotic materials I'd imagine (has a lot of aluminum suspension parts though).

The last generation was a big car that handled pretty well (especially considering it's pedigree and the history of american cars). The new one doesn't shrink much and increases the handling significantly, allowing the SS 1LE to match the outgoing $75K Z/28, for about 35K less (if you get a 1SS 1LE). The old Z/28 will keep going over longer courses a bit better, but sacrifices a lot more interior options and ride quality as part of the deal. The new ZL1 kicks it out of the court and the ZL1 1LE takes over where that old Z/28 left off, running down 911 GT3s all over the place.
      12-19-2017, 09:33 AM   #49
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

You can get the following cars for $50K or less and most of them are not common - hard to do at that price point since you can spend much more than that on an SUV or pick-up truck. Average price of a new car is $35K!
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28112&zc=19425

Dodge Viper - Lucky if I see one or two the entire summer around here. Very rare car - They made less of these than Lamborghini Gallardo's.
Boxster/Cayman S - With the sweet sounding flat-6 of course!
Older 911 - Probably more "common", but still a stellar drivers car and not as common as you think. Could get up to a 2011 from what I've seen. My choice would be a 964 with higher mileage. Do some work to it - suspension and rebuild the engine and you'll be VERY happy
Aston Martin V8 Vantage - very rare car. Not sure on the long-term reliability or maintenance cost, but for sure, you won't see many of them around.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 12:20 AM   #50
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
You can get the following cars for $50K or less and most of them are not common - hard to do at that price point since you can spend much more than that on an SUV or pick-up truck. Average price of a new car is $35K!
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...28112&zc=19425

Dodge Viper - Lucky if I see one or two the entire summer around here. Very rare car - They made less of these than Lamborghini Gallardo's.
Boxster/Cayman S - With the sweet sounding flat-6 of course!
Older 911 - Probably more "common", but still a stellar drivers car and not as common as you think. Could get up to a 2011 from what I've seen. My choice would be a 964 with higher mileage. Do some work to it - suspension and rebuild the engine and you'll be VERY happy
Aston Martin V8 Vantage - very rare car. Not sure on the long-term reliability or maintenance cost, but for sure, you won't see many of them around.
2015-2018, something newer with a warranty still. I couldn't imagine the maintenance/repair bills on a 911
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 06:58 AM   #51
bvanlieu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
2015-2018, something newer with a warranty still. I couldn't imagine the maintenance/repair bills on a 911
Compared to... what?

Our 987 (no real difference in mechanics to a 997 in terms of care and feeding) has been the lower cost to maintain then the E90 :P

Sure the Porsche tax is there at many dealers, but its really no different IMHO then the BMW tax on the same general services, or outrageous only full list price parts pricing yada yada.

Despite the fact that I can do most common maintenances myself, I have let the dealers do some things so I have a basis to compare.

Last time the brake fluid flush went up 50% for no reason, so that's the last time I use a dealer for that. There's a point where my time is worth it vs. just the principle of over paying for a simple maintenance

- b
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 05:32 PM   #52
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayely1 View Post
I had a 2001 Porsche Boxster for three years and basically changed the oil and that's it. Nothing else was needed. Put around 20K miles on it.

Again, if you want something different, then you're going to have to look outside the year range you've set. Otherwise, you're looking at a dime a dozen cars.
Appreciate 0