BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-13-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Need advice on E60 repairs; keep or sell?

I have a 2007 550i with 145K miles. Has

Sports suspension
Dynamic drive
Cold weather package with heated steering wheel
Comfort access
Sunshades
Multi-contour seats
PDCs
Adaptive lights
NAV
Etc.

A local shop recently told me to hold off on doing valve stem seals replacement and instead did an engine oil treatment. The idea being we can delay the inevitable by a year or two.

At the same time there were several oil leaks that were discovered. Vacuum pump, valve cover, oil sensor, alternator bracket, etc.

Previously this was not a major issue as the car was being driven less than 100 miles a week and the oil leaks were minimal. Now the car is driven over 400 miles a week and a lot of oil is showing in the parking spots at work and home.

And I need a new set of rear tires.

Clearly it is time to have all those seals replaced. I like this car a lot. Yet I am unsure how to proceed.

Should I spend the money on replacing all the seals and rear tires ($2K ballpark) and then later down the road may have to spend over $2500 for valve stem seals replacement? Or should I sell this and buy a 535i instead?

On one hand if I spend approximately $4K I will have addressed the major issues that plague this engine and can enjoy the car worry free. Only regular maintenance needed.

OTOH, however, it seems foolish to spend $4K on a $10K vehicle. I can get an 08-09 535i with 100K miles or so for around $10K.

Given I won't be able to sell mine at market price due to the repairs needed, it won't be an even swap in terms of dollars.

Can anyone comment on or provide input/feedback/advice on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #2
AamirAtl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Feedback from others is to keep this car.

I've always liked the idea of DIY. Think I've just made excuses like I don't have time, or I don't have a garage at home to do the work, etc. Though I am concerned about messing things up due to complete lack of experience working on cars. Then there is the issue of buying and storing tools (I have a small place).

I'd like to hook up with someone local who enjoys DIY and would like to mentor or have company. With someone around to guide me I think I would enjoy the work. Any takers?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2016, 12:43 AM   #3
slenser
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

I would suggest trying the local section of the forums in the 3 or 1 series area. I'm sure there are others in your area on here, but they might not own a 5 series.
Appreciate 0