BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

02-18-2024, 03:45 AM   #1
alex.alexutz89
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530D

Hi guys,

Very nice to be here, I’m posting for the first time in the hope that I solve my longstanding issue. Apologies in advance if post is too long, but trying to give as much information about this weird issue as possible.

So my 2008 530D automatic has been battling with a weird intermittent fault for a while now. Started about a year ago, didn’t pay much attention as only accoured once or twice in 3 months or so… and it wasn’t as bad as it is now…

Now, fault is present almost every day..

Basically, 2 scenarios:

Scenario 1: - In the mornings when first starting the car, it just won’t start, multiple faults pop up in dash including - Engine Light, Airbag, Yellow Triangle, Brake, ABS etc.. Plus, on board computer displaying multiple faults - transmission fault, Restraint system, Ignition faulty, Control Systems, Fuel Pump etc… as you can imagine, car is going crazy .. all faults possible come on.

Wipers start without warning and won’t stop until this episode stops…

I put the key in ignition, press the brake, press start/stop button but car will NOT start.

Only way I found the car will start is if I keep my finger on the start/stop button for 10 seconds. This will start the car, BUT, car will not engage in gear, wipers are running and can’t stop them, multiple faults are still present… at this point all I can do is wait for about 5 mins until car comes to normal ish.. -wipers stop and I can put it into drive mode and move off…

When I move off, there is no servo, power is not as normal, gears won’t change as normal…

BUT, at this point, if I turn the car off and on again, everything is normal… no faults and car drives great, with the exception of yellow brake and triangle lights stay on for a while in dash…

Scenario 2: - while driving, all of the above faults in scenario 1 come on, gear stuck in 3rd with high revs, wipers start, no servo, etc. This episode lasts about 2 mins and car goes back to normal .. This is intermittent and comes and goes randomly while driving…

Any ideas what this mess is ?

Thanks all
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:41 PM   #2
Bastard23
Registered
Lithuania
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d

Did you check the place in the boot where spare wheel should be? There are most of the modules location and it gets wet very often and causes similar wanky stuf.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 03:07 PM   #3
alex.alexutz89
Registered
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW E60 530D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bastard23 View Post
Did you check the place in the boot where spare wheel should be? There are most of the modules location and it gets wet very often and causes similar wanky stuf.
Hi,

The only module in my boot is the PDC parking distance control unit. And that seems to be ok. I previously opened it and no water damage.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:54 PM   #4
CaspinComaM5er
CASPIN
Rep
Drives: BMW E60

How old is the battery ?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:11 AM   #5
alex.alexutz89
Registered
Ireland