BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

03-22-2018, 06:17 PM   #23
Mingwan
Major
Rep
Drives: X1 Individual custom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardio View Post
I'm not one to use Facebook in the typical fashion. In 2007 I set up a fakebook account and used it to join groups that I found beneficial. Some of these groups have been fantastic and really helpful, like the quit smoking page or my local hiking group. My amateur soccer team uses a page to keep track of what players can or can't make the games. I also belong to a photography group where I have learned a lot and have met great people. My point being it's not all bad, it depends on how you use it.
Yep. I originally set up my account to keep in contact with friends living over seas. Now I use Facebook to watch funny videos and creep on hawt shorties.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 08:26 PM   #24
XCRN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, 1995 525i

My sister made me one many years ago since I had no desire to make one and I am more of a introvert anyways. Used it a week and got bored. Only got back on it recently for wheel'n and deal'n. Pretty much made my money back plus more on a LS donor truck in a week. But that is the furthest extent I will use it for. If friends from back then want to stay in touch that badly they can call me.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 04:25 AM   #25
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
As the title says. Not sure why everybody loves Facebook, the whole concept seems incredibly creepy to me giving all your data to big brother to do whatever he wished.
Never used this sh*t and damn proud of, my lifes better w/o it and if they shut down those platform other peoples life maybe enriched more with real experience of having friends and not only virtual guys.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 3
GERMAN M34181.00
King Rudi13154.00
      03-23-2018, 05:32 AM   #26
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
Never used this sh*t and damn proud of, my lifes better w/o it and if they shut down those platform other peoples life maybe enriched more with real experience of having friends and not only virtual guys.
Couldn't have said it better myself!!
Don't care about Facebook and never have. Just
My opinion though!
Appreciate 2
Dang3r12508.50
      03-23-2018, 08:16 AM   #27
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jody View Post
Facebook is the devil. I watched a video not too long ago that was an interview with one of the original creators. He was quoted in stating that they knew what they were doing was wrong. They played off of basic human instinct of dopamine boosts in order to generate revenue. Everyone has a basic need to feel wanted/needed and facebook fills this void. Unfortunately social media in general has created this mentality that it is socially acceptable to walk around taking pictures of yourself, your food and everything else that no one gives a shit about so it can be posted and liked by your fake friends, all for a slight dopamine boost all to feel accepted, wanted and appreciated.

Honestly Facebook isn't the problem, people are the problem. Facebook is simply a platform and as Daniel Tosh stated a megaphone for idiots. I still have my Instagram account but I shut down Facebook last year and honestly it's amazing at how much simpler my life has become; less distractions, etc. I still have my Facebook messenger account but I hate to use it as it seems like a hive of social media vampires waiting to attack as soon as they see you are active. I have a friend that sends me funny videos via messenger but every damn time I watch one, I instantly get a bunch of messages from people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Facebook is great is you are a: cheater, a stalker, a predator, a thief, a dumb ass, creator of bullshit news stories/click-bait or a small business whose only goal is to annoy you by trying to use social media as advertising. I really hate this generation and the technology that fuels all the sheep.

dam, 100% agreed with every word.

it's disgusting.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10135.50
King Rudi13154.00
      03-23-2018, 08:53 AM   #28
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

I wonder how many people that think social media outlets like this are an invasion of your privacy yet have devices like Alexa, Nest, and the like in their homes capturing just as sensitive data on you as Facebook.

On a side note, while most people think Facebook is for those that have a social void/need or have a look at me syndrome, there are some good uses of it. A private support group called Colontown for those dealing with or are care givers of colon cancer is on Facebook. The wealth of knowledge contained from people contributing in one place is invaluable for those dealing with this disease; along with the ability to have more or less real time interactions with others.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2018, 09:04 AM   #29
byroncheung
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 m3, 997.2 c2s, x166 GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I find Facebook to not be as entertaining as BP, but I still maintain that it is a good platform to keep in touch with friends and family who are distances away. I don't spend that much time on it as it is somewhat boring--about 10 minutes a day as opposed to 10 hours on BP.
what's "BP"?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #30
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
what's "BP"?
Bimmerpost
Appreciate 1
jgoens3787.50
      03-23-2018, 09:20 AM   #31
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by byroncheung View Post
what's "BP"?
Some oil company that spilled a shitload of oil in the gulf.

Appreciate 2
upstatedoc7555.50
jgoens3787.50
      03-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #32
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Jody View Post
Facebook is the devil. I watched a video not too long ago that was an interview with one of the original creators. He was quoted in stating that they knew what they were doing was wrong. They played off of basic human instinct of dopamine boosts in order to generate revenue. Everyone has a basic need to feel wanted/needed and facebook fills this void. Unfortunately social media in general has created this mentality that it is socially acceptable to walk around taking pictures of yourself, your food and everything else that no one gives a shit about so it can be posted and liked by your fake friends, all for a slight dopamine boost all to feel accepted, wanted and appreciated.

Honestly Facebook isn't the problem, people are the problem. Facebook is simply a platform and as Daniel Tosh stated a megaphone for idiots. I still have my Instagram account but I shut down Facebook last year and honestly it's amazing at how much simpler my life has become; less distractions, etc. I still have my Facebook messenger account but I hate to use it as it seems like a hive of social media vampires waiting to attack as soon as they see you are active. I have a friend that sends me funny videos via messenger but every damn time I watch one, I instantly get a bunch of messages from people who have nothing better to do with their lives.

Facebook is great is you are a: cheater, a stalker, a predator, a thief, a dumb ass, creator of bullshit news stories/click-bait or a small business whose only goal is to annoy you by trying to use social media as advertising. I really hate this generation and the technology that fuels all the sheep.

dam, 100% agreed with every word.

it's disgusting.
you can thank capitalism for exploiting revenue at all costs... mental / social or whatever they may be...
      03-23-2018, 09:33 AM   #33
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Agreed. I find it funny that their is such a hatred for 'mainstream media' these days, when social media..facebok, twitter, etc is the real problem.
I think I have enough energy to hate both MSM and Social Media.

Last edited by RABAUKE; 03-29-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
ASAP10135.50
Poiseuille5387.00
      03-23-2018, 09:57 AM   #34
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Agreed. I find it funny that their is such a hatred for 'mainstream media' these days, when social media..facebok, twitter, etc is the real problem.
I'm not sure I agree. I think we are the problem. Mainstream media is interested in what sells - you can't really blame them, because enough people out there are saying "This is what I want to hear". And when it switches to something else, MSM will follow. So you can only be angry at people really, not MSM.

Same thing with FB, IG, etc - it's just a platform. Nothing good or bad inherently in it. Like a firearm.

It's the user that is the problem.
Appreciate 3
jgoens3787.50
King Rudi13154.00
      03-23-2018, 11:52 AM   #35
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I'm not sure I agree. I think we are the problem.
No, FB is the problem. They intentionally collect and sell your personal data and that is evil. People posting stupid s**t just makes it stupid, not evil.
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
      03-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #36
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure I agree. I think we are the problem. Mainstream media is interested in what sells - you can't really blame them, because enough people out there are saying "This is what I want to hear". And when it switches to something else, MSM will follow. So you can only be angry at people really, not MSM.

Same thing with FB, IG, etc - it's just a platform. Nothing good or bad inherently in it. Like a firearm.

It's the user that is the problem.
Saying the user is the problem is why we have laws in the general world... are the rules / laws guiding these mediums? No there aren't.
      03-23-2018, 12:58 PM   #37
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
No, FB is the problem. They intentionally collect and sell your personal data and that is evil. People posting stupid s**t just makes it stupid, not evil.
How do they get this personal data? And again, it isn't the software doing this - it is Mark Zuckerburg and all the app developers...aka "users / people". None of the platforms are evil by themselves. So direct your hatred to where it belongs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Saying the user is the problem is why we have laws in the general world... are the rules / laws guiding these mediums? No there aren't.
So...you are a proponent of creating such laws then?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:05 PM   #38
ASAP
Major General
Rep

Quote:
How do they get this personal data? And again, it isn't the software doing this - it is Mark Zuckerburg and all the app developers...aka "users / people". None of the platforms are evil by themselves. So direct your hatred to where it belongs.

So...you are a proponent of creating such laws then?
I am a proponent of putting limits on the 1st amendment... take that info how you want... we've reached max stupidity in this world, and in a properly functioning society w mediums that exists like today, it is unwise to to not have limits... that is unless you want a powder keg of sorts... politically, ideologically, socially and mentally.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 01:32 PM   #39
NicoleLusts4BMW
BeachBitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Package 20" wheels

FB is a joke. I have always found it to be a platform for people to simply display BS moments of their lives. I don't need to know what you eat, where you eat or how well your kid did in some random event. How proud you are of this or that is nonsense. FB has done a great job od sucking people in to their "community". It's nothing more then eavesdropping on others and is creepy. I certainly didn't need to wait for this breach to stop using FB. BTW IG is a joke as well.
Appreciate 4
bimmer4562950.00
GERMAN M34181.00
King Rudi13154.00
      03-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #40
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
You also have to add Google, Microsoft and Apple to the list who sell data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLusts4BMW View Post
FB is a joke. I have always found it to be a platform for people to simply display BS moments of their lives. I don't need to know what you eat, where you eat or how well your kid did in some random event. How proud you are of this or that is nonsense. FB has done a great job od sucking people in to their "community". It's nothing more then eavesdropping on others and is creepy. I certainly didn't need to wait for this breach to stop using FB. BTW IG is a joke as well.
Once again a take: I post pics and vids, not much, but a few of things my son does such as his first day swimming in the deep end and his Taekwondo test--and this is for friends and family who are far to keep them involved. I realize that people I don't know or want to know might see them so I keep them basic and not often.

Maybe many of you don't have loved ones far away or prefer to send out tons of paper pics and usb's, or don't even care to keep people miles or continents away in the loop how you or your family are doing visually, but I do.
zx10guy5149.50
      03-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #41
bimmergazm
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E39 530DA

Use only messenger not fb, problem solved

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #42
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

Im 40 and therefore live right in the prime time for the take off of FB, and I can honestly say I've never used it. All my GFs and friends did, but I just found it didn't fit with my needs in life - namely wanting more friends. To me it was just lame.

I get the whole business potential for some jobs, and I say all the power to those who can use it to make a buck. That said the constant BS people post to make their life look better then it actually is to what impress others? Its laughable. Remember when everyone used to constantly post pictures of the meals?! Seriously WTF.
Appreciate 1
GERMAN M34181.00
      03-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #43
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
How do they get this personal data?
A con.

Quote:
So direct your hatred to where it belongs.
Who said anything about hate.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #44
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

He invented it because he got hit in the face with a book in school...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0