BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-16-2021, 09:06 PM   #1
n54joe
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi

Audio Cutting Out & iDrive Restarting

Hi, all. I have a 2008 535xi with the CCC iDrive and on occasion the iDrive will restart.. this does not happen often. My main issue is that the audio cuts out under hard acceleration and sometimes even when going over bumps after a few hard pulls. When it goes out after a bit the SOS malfunction pops up and I've learned that slamming on the brakes will help bring it back sometimes. The problem is worse in the summer on warm days, in around 80 F weather I've gotten in the car and had no audio. If I drive the car easy now in the winter it will not go out for the whole drive. I have the satellite module bypassed and have checked the little optical loop that bypasses the module's connection and it appeared to be okay. Replaced the Bluetooth module with a used one from the junkyard - same issue. Any thoughts on what could be causing this?

Last edited by n54joe; 12-16-2021 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
n54joe
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535xi

Thinking it was actually the MOST loop bypass for the satellite module.. I replaced it, drove the car twice and it has not gone out. I rechecked the old one not sure how that could have been causing it but hoping it's good.
      12-21-2021, 08:43 PM   #3
mweine
Work Hard! Play Harder!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M, BMW M3 CS

Garage List
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by n54joe View Post
Thinking it was actually the MOST loop bypass for the satellite module.. I replaced it, drove the car twice and it has not gone out. I rechecked the old one not sure how that could have been causing it but hoping it's good.
Could be a cold solder on the main board. There are places that repair them these units for a few hundred dollars. My suggestion would be to retrofit it to a CIC unit if you want the OEM look.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 04:18 AM   #4
mpathic
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MCoupe,3.0Si R,E61 535xiT

Root cause can be condensation and water in the module tray, sometimes coming from sunroof drain tubes. I cleaned the sunroof drain tube at the bottom ends with 4mm plastic rod, then repositioned the outlets in that plastic grills that opens into the side of the rear bumper cover. That makes the outlet lower than anywhere that water can exit into the trunk area.
Also put the spare tire in the bottom of the spare tire well, then the carpet over it, then the styrofoam module holder with modules on top of the carpet. Now if any water does get into the spare tire well, it pools below the spare, while the modules stay open to air from the trunk, safely above where moisture and condensation can accumulate.