BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-02-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
RsiaSMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 530i E60 SMG

2007 E60 smoke coming from front vents

Hey kids, I have a 2007 e60 530i, had an oil change on 11/24 at dealership (not that it matters) but this past thursday 11/29 I was sitting in the drive through at a at a bagel shop and started smelling and seeing smoke comeing out of my front dash vent in middle. It did not smell like anything but an odd smoke smell, no coolant smell, no electronics smell, not oil, just leaves me dumbfounded as to wtf this may be. Its not a vapor from water its actual smoke, my heater was on about 72 degrees and fan speed on lowest setting. I do not see any visual leaks from the valve cover or anything. Had a friend mention a possible blower motor. Has anyone ever had this proplem or know anyone who has ever experienced it? Any help is much apreciated. Thanks

Ryan S
      12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Reloaded
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 M5

Check the drain plug and oil filter for leaks.
To check, either jack up, crawl under the car or reach down from top, wipe both areas clean, go for a spirited 20 minute drive, come back and park the car. Place newspapers underneath to catch any drips.
After car cools off, recheck the areas you previously wiped clean. If you find evidence evidence of new oil around the drain plug or filter, there lies your problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
nyceric03
Private
Rep
Drives: F25 35i, F15 50i, E70 4.8i

Oil gasket?

Could be oil gasket leak near the alternator, happened to me straightforward replace a little rubber gasket, easy for a shop
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
RsiaSMG
United_States
Rep

sorry took me a few days to recheck this thread, i appreciate the heads up, i will check both of those things out today and see what happens, i dont notice any oil leaks under the car now but ill jack it all up and clean it up, i am just not even using my heat as of now just to be safe i dont need the car starting on fire, but ill keep you updated, thanks again
      12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
RsiaSMG
United_States
Rep

sooooo needless to say, upon further looking at a more detailed picture after you guys mentions around the alternator, i found that under the cover the entire fron end of the motor is covered in oil. seems as if i was origianlly wrong in saying it was not a gasket around the valve covers because thats exactly what it is... well some seal around the front end is shot from what it seems, im pretty aggervated, ive only had this car since may of 2012 and im ready to just throw it in the garbage... this is the 3rd things which has been wrong with it, and i believe i was a victim of the dealership on this one. bought a lemon... so anyways i am deciding on what to do now, fix it or get a new car... if so then i will have some wheels and suspension to get rid of...

thanks for heads up guys. glad i found this now instead of being stranded somewhere in the near future.