BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-17-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
steve63033
Registered
Rep
Drives: honda rigeline

Prospective owner

Hello all,

My name is Steve, and I have recently joined the forum.

Currently I lease a gas-guzzling Honda Ridgeline but will be in the market for the new car come this summer. I have always wanted a BMW and have a high interest in the E60 535i x-drive. The car fits in my trade in value price range ($~23,000) with approx 50K-60K miles, and has a great modding platform as well as AWD to tackle the winters of the North East. I have a few questions though for you current E60 owners that will help me make my decision. I appreciate your answers, thank you.

1. How reliable is the 535i xdrive after 70,000 miles. What issues have you had and are there any recalls?

2. For you 535I xdrive owners, what is your average MPG? Would you consider the car economical or gas thirsty? Does it take regular or premium?

3. How reliable is the AWD system? Paired with winter tires is it able to traverse through a substantial amount (2"-4") of snow without getting stuck?

4. Do E60 or E90 ///M wheels fit on the 535i x drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 04:30 AM   #2
Seven11
Private
Rep
Drives: X4m

I don't have an xi but I did buy one with the same motor. I will give u a few pointers.

I wouldn't say the car is reliable, bmw extended the warranty on turbos for 8yrs/82k miles and high pressure fuel pump got extended warranty 10yrs/120k miles

I would only get one with a warranty if u are buying one for around $25k. I would be very upset if i spent that much and had to pay more for repairs.

I just bought an '08 535i and I love it. But I am used to the bmw problems and how to handle them. First of all you will need a fault code reader that will read BMW specific codes. There is one that uses your smartphone. Download the BMWhat app but u will need to buy the unit itself from Amazon.
Appreciate 0