BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

11-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Type11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Melted my fiber optic cable going to CDC help!

I have a 2007 M5 with CCC and I decided I was going to put in Denison 500 gateway. Everything went well and I tested it and all was good so I got ready for final install. I did my crimps and then heat wrapped them. However one of the metal parts got hot and went into the fiber cord going from the head unit CCC (I assume that is where it came from anyway) to what was the CDC but is now the 500 gateway. I was soooooooo pissed at myself but now I am on to how I can fix it. I assume I can rerun a fiber/MOST cable from the CCC to the CDC in the glove box but for the life of me I can't find a part number or anything. any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Type11
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

OK last post. Looking at the connector and what is going on I think I would like to try to put a new end on the old one as it does not look damaged once it goes up into the taped part.

It looks like I need 61136901847 to make new ends and then 61138387214 to hold them. LAst questions

1. How should I cut the fiber runs? I am guessing it is pretty particular and I would need a nice clean cut
2. How do I strip the green coating of the fiber to get to the black undercoating? I know how to do this with wire but again think I need to be careful
3. Once stripped and down to the black how do I make the fiber stay in the 61136901847 part above? From existing I see a black blob near the end of 61136901847 inside holding the fiber in place.

Is there any chance I can make this work or should I just take it to a dealer? if I do a new fiber run does it go all the way to the junction in the trunk?
Appreciate 0