BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-11-2021, 08:05 PM   #1
Lawlis1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535xi

Water Pump Problems

I have a 2008 535xi that I put a Jp4 with Bluetooth connection to my phone so I am able to watch the temp and codes in real time. I am getting the typical 2E81/2E82 codes consistent with pending water pump failure but am getting other codes that make me concerned there is more of an issue than just the water pump.

These are the codes:
2E83 Elctrical cooling pump, low-power mode
2E85 Elctrical cooling pump, communication
2DED Power management, standby current control
2E82 Elctrical cooling pump: switch off
2E81 Elctrical cooling pump:, speed deviation

If I watch the temp rise above 220…I can shut the car off for even a second and it will run fine for weeks. Am I just catching a bad pump early because I haven't had to get the dreaded "red engine light" on my dash as the temp exceeds 250? I had to replace the voltage sensor/neg battery cable and battery a year ago…I am not loosing coolant through the water pump that typically damaged them… anyone else have similar problems that were resolved with just replacing the water pump/thermostat? Appreciate any advice, changing the pump on the X-drive is a particular pain, so if it's a bigger issue…I am just beyond my knowledge base
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 08:48 AM   #2
e91Owner
e91Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91 & 2010 e60

Most likely the pump is just bad. My x drive e60 ran just fine with 2E85 for a few years. Finally replaced the pump/t stat when I just couldn't take seeing that code any longer.

Code went away, but the car didn't behave any differently (normal before, normal after).
Appreciate 0