BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

06-23-2015, 11:25 AM   #1
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
New to 5 series, looking for advice

I am in the market for a BMW, I currently drive a 2006 Acura TL. I also own a '11 328 xdrive which my wife drives and I have owned other 3 series so I am very familiar with BMW's. I am new to the 5 series. I was looking into getting a 335 but they are hard to come across in my area and if one does pop up it sells very fast. I just lost out on one, it sold on my way to go look at it. I did find a '08 535xi with 62,000 mi in excellent condition for 18k. I never thought I would consider a 5 but after driving it i'm starting to change my mind. What I would like to know is how the reliability is on these cars and what common problems it might have and what I should be looking at before I purchase one.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I've owned both an E90 335i and now own an E60 535i Xdrive. The smaller 3 was much more fun to drive, albeit it was RWD and had the sport suspension on it. Even though my 2010 535i XDrive is equipped with the sport package BMW utilized the standard suspension. You really notice the extra size and weight of the 5 over the 3 when driving spiritedly. What you get in return is more refinement and comfort.

The 535's have similar issues to the 335s, mainly centered around the drivetrain. Low pressure fuel pumps, high pressure fuel pumps, fuel injectors, coil packs, coolant pumps, oil filter housing gaskets leaks, valve cover gasket leaks, carbon buildup, clunky ZF auto transmissions, rattling wastegates etc. Whatever car you are considering I would have checked out by a trusted mechanic and look for the usual suspects:
Wastegate rattle
Hesitation at constant cruise or while accelerating.
Does the car shift smoothly and kick down quickly when the accelerator is pressed. Does the transmission bump or jerk when coming to a stop.
Oil leaks coming from top of engine
Leak around transmission mechatronic seal
Tension strut (or control arm) bushings worn

Try to get the service records for the car from BMW. Hopefully it has newer HPFP and fuel injectors. Hopefully it has had recent brake servicing including pads/rotors/fluid. If it has never had the valves cleaned, it will likely need to be done.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #3
colonelburke
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e60 550i

Something else to think about is that they updated the nav interface and program in the 2009+ models. My 08 has the older and dated looking interface. Also, I don't know about the 535s, but my 550 has a "sport" button just below the gearshift. When depressed, it firms everything up and you get a better response from the transmission. I believe I read that some of that acceleration hesitation is to provide a smoother ride. I've also heard that is can be fixed with a computer plug in thing (I can't remember the name) behind the pedal as it has to do with the drive by wire system. Lastly, I had a cooling system failure that is popular with these models. Luckily mine was covered by the CPO warranty. If I were you, I'd go CPO if you can. If not, get a good and thorough PPI as suggested by biz. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 12:41 AM   #4
AM330i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 535xi 11 328xi

Garage List
2023 BMW M440  [0.00]
So, I ended up purchasing the '08 535xi. The day after I bought, I started it up and it ran really rough and the check engine light came on. I took it back to the dealer and so far they have been really good about getting it fixed. They replaced all the injectors and now just waiting till Monday to see if it is fixed, they want to start it cold since that is mostly when I'm having problems also at full throttle while in sport mode. If the injectors don't fix it, then its off to bmw for a high pressure pump. I'm just glad problems are showing up now and not in a few months. Besides this problem I am happy with the car.
Appreciate 0