BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com  
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Go Back   BMW E60 5-Series Forum | 5Post.com > BMW 5-Series (E60) Forums (2004 - 2009) > General 5-series and M5 (E60) Forum

12-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
kaisersoesa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 545i

545 sitting for years; any suggestions?

I'm going to buy a 2004 545i that has been sitting untouched in a driveway for over three years; never started, never moved that whole time, and nothing done to it to prepare it for that type of long-term storage. Should I change oil/drain gas tank before trying to start for the first time? Any other suggestions/thoughts as to what I would be in for? Would it be a mistake to try jump starting it first just to see if it starts up before changing the oil/gas?
Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Before I buy the car I want to know why it was sitting for three years and I would want R&M records. This could be a money pit, these cars aren't cheap to maintain so if its been sitting, there may be a lot of maintenance that needs to be caught up on. I would be very leary if I was you and do your due diligence, don't rush into anything, it could cost you lots of money down the line!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
BMW BRAD
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M, F31 328d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elias View Post
Before I buy the car I want to know why it was sitting for three years and I would want R&M records. This could be a money pit, these cars aren't cheap to maintain so if its been sitting, there may be a lot of maintenance that needs to be caught up on. I would be very leary if I was you and do your due diligence, don't rush into anything, it could cost you lots of money down the line!
^^^^^ This is some great advice! ^^^^^ Talk to a very experienced BMW mechanic BEFORE you try to start it! Let us know what happens! Goodluck!
      12-12-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
Mackskibum
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E60 535xi

Wow, this is a tough one. Do you feel lucky?

IMO, the biggest issue will be the fuel- esp in Cali- no way it is still usable after four years. YOU MUST DRAIN AND FLUSH!!!! Try to get what you can out of the lines as well. Add a bottle of Techron and then fill it up. Trans is likely OK. Engine oil should be changed- if it was mine, I would open the drain plug and let it sit for 24 hours, then change filter and re-fill with an inexpensive synthetic. Run to operating temperature, then change oil and filter again, fill with the good stuff. Tires may be toast- will be flat spotted for sure from sitting that long without use- figure on replacing those right away. Then there are the brakes. Flush lines, turn rotors and replace pads- I know you are in SOCAL, but the risks are too great to ignore. Last, pay some attention to the cooling system- I would change the coolant and take a hard look at the drive belt and hoses- belt may have bonded itself to a pulley or two.

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0